Sep 27, 2010, 9:56 PM EDT
It was Nats Park in name only on Monday night. In front of thousands of their rain-soaked fans, the Phillies just defeated the Nationals by the score of 8-0, putting a bow on their fourth straight National League East title.
Roy Halladay allowed just two measly singles as part of a complete-game shutout. He struck out six, walked none and faced one batter over the minimum. The big offseason prize is now 21-10 with a 2.44 ERA over 33 starts this season. This includes an MLB-leading nine complete games and four shutouts. He’s a virtual lock for the National League Cy Young award at this point, but he’s also headed to the postseason for the first time in his 13-year career.
The Phillies have the National League’s best record for the first time since 1977, securing them home-field advantage in the NLDS and the NLCS, if they make it that far. Of course, because the National League won the All-Star Game, the Phillies would also have home-field advantage should they make it to their third straight World Series. With Halladay, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels dealing, they will be awful tough to beat.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)