Sep 27, 2010, 9:56 PM EDT
It was Nats Park in name only on Monday night. In front of thousands of their rain-soaked fans, the Phillies just defeated the Nationals by the score of 8-0, putting a bow on their fourth straight National League East title.
Roy Halladay allowed just two measly singles as part of a complete-game shutout. He struck out six, walked none and faced one batter over the minimum. The big offseason prize is now 21-10 with a 2.44 ERA over 33 starts this season. This includes an MLB-leading nine complete games and four shutouts. He’s a virtual lock for the National League Cy Young award at this point, but he’s also headed to the postseason for the first time in his 13-year career.
The Phillies have the National League’s best record for the first time since 1977, securing them home-field advantage in the NLDS and the NLCS, if they make it that far. Of course, because the National League won the All-Star Game, the Phillies would also have home-field advantage should they make it to their third straight World Series. With Halladay, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels dealing, they will be awful tough to beat.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)