Sep 27, 2010, 9:56 PM EST
It was Nats Park in name only on Monday night. In front of thousands of their rain-soaked fans, the Phillies just defeated the Nationals by the score of 8-0, putting a bow on their fourth straight National League East title.
Roy Halladay allowed just two measly singles as part of a complete-game shutout. He struck out six, walked none and faced one batter over the minimum. The big offseason prize is now 21-10 with a 2.44 ERA over 33 starts this season. This includes an MLB-leading nine complete games and four shutouts. He’s a virtual lock for the National League Cy Young award at this point, but he’s also headed to the postseason for the first time in his 13-year career.
The Phillies have the National League’s best record for the first time since 1977, securing them home-field advantage in the NLDS and the NLCS, if they make it that far. Of course, because the National League won the All-Star Game, the Phillies would also have home-field advantage should they make it to their third straight World Series. With Halladay, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels dealing, they will be awful tough to beat.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)