Sep 27, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Rickey Henderson has spent this season as a “roving baserunning instructor” throughout Oakland’s minor league system and while visiting the big league club yesterday the Hall of Famer told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that he’d like to be on the A’s coaching staff:
It could be the same thing. If they bring all of their coaches back, I respect that. Just give me the opportunity to be a little more free to help out and trust me to help them out. Ideally, that’s my goal is on a major league club. I’d rather it be with the Oakland A’s. But if I can’t do it here, maybe I might have to go somewhere to get a little more experience.
Henderson’s only previous MLB coaching experience came when he spent part of 2007 as the Mets’ first base coach.
I’m in favor of anything that gets Henderson around more big-league players and more big-league beat reporters, because a) he’s one of the greatest players of all time, and b) he’s one of the greatest quote machines of all time. Hilarity will definitely ensue, and probably some good coaching too.
And if the A’s ever need an emergency outfielder, I’m pretty sure he could still steal a base at age 52.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)