Sep 27, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Rickey Henderson has spent this season as a “roving baserunning instructor” throughout Oakland’s minor league system and while visiting the big league club yesterday the Hall of Famer told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that he’d like to be on the A’s coaching staff:
It could be the same thing. If they bring all of their coaches back, I respect that. Just give me the opportunity to be a little more free to help out and trust me to help them out. Ideally, that’s my goal is on a major league club. I’d rather it be with the Oakland A’s. But if I can’t do it here, maybe I might have to go somewhere to get a little more experience.
Henderson’s only previous MLB coaching experience came when he spent part of 2007 as the Mets’ first base coach.
I’m in favor of anything that gets Henderson around more big-league players and more big-league beat reporters, because a) he’s one of the greatest players of all time, and b) he’s one of the greatest quote machines of all time. Hilarity will definitely ensue, and probably some good coaching too.
And if the A’s ever need an emergency outfielder, I’m pretty sure he could still steal a base at age 52.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 18
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)