Sep 27, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Rickey Henderson has spent this season as a “roving baserunning instructor” throughout Oakland’s minor league system and while visiting the big league club yesterday the Hall of Famer told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that he’d like to be on the A’s coaching staff:
It could be the same thing. If they bring all of their coaches back, I respect that. Just give me the opportunity to be a little more free to help out and trust me to help them out. Ideally, that’s my goal is on a major league club. I’d rather it be with the Oakland A’s. But if I can’t do it here, maybe I might have to go somewhere to get a little more experience.
Henderson’s only previous MLB coaching experience came when he spent part of 2007 as the Mets’ first base coach.
I’m in favor of anything that gets Henderson around more big-league players and more big-league beat reporters, because a) he’s one of the greatest players of all time, and b) he’s one of the greatest quote machines of all time. Hilarity will definitely ensue, and probably some good coaching too.
And if the A’s ever need an emergency outfielder, I’m pretty sure he could still steal a base at age 52.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)