Rickey Henderson wants to be on the A's coaching staff

Sep 27, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT

Rickey Henderson has spent this season as a “roving baserunning instructor” throughout Oakland’s minor league system and while visiting the big league club yesterday the Hall of Famer told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that he’d like to be on the A’s coaching staff:

It could be the same thing. If they bring all of their coaches back, I respect that. Just give me the opportunity to be a little more free to help out and trust me to help them out. Ideally, that’s my goal is on a major league club. I’d rather it be with the Oakland A’s. But if I can’t do it here, maybe I might have to go somewhere to get a little more experience.

Henderson’s only previous MLB coaching experience came when he spent part of 2007 as the Mets’ first base coach.
I’m in favor of anything that gets Henderson around more big-league players and more big-league beat reporters, because a) he’s one of the greatest players of all time, and b) he’s one of the greatest quote machines of all time. Hilarity will definitely ensue, and probably some good coaching too.
And if the A’s ever need an emergency outfielder, I’m pretty sure he could still steal a base at age 52.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM

He could also show all the young kids how to play cards in the clubhouse during the slow parts of the game.

2. birdmancometh - Sep 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM

This needs to happen right now.

3. jdmcmil - Sep 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM

“Rickey wants to be the base runnings coach”

4. APBA Guy - Sep 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Rickey certainly helped the team with their base-stealing approach. As a team, the A’s are very fast (Landon Powell and Jack Cust excluded). But having Rickey in the dugout, watching the opposing pitcher like a hawk, that has to be worth what they’d pay him in higher stealing percentages and increased attempts..

5. walk - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I would sign him if i had room and the money. Even when he was older and slowed down he still seemed to pick the right pitch to go on. Knowing when to steal is worth as much as the speed of a player. There are plenty of fast guys who dont steal because they dont know how to read a pitcher and i think he could help there.

6. Jess_Ball - Sep 28, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I want Rickey to play on my team. After an HOF induction, can a player come out of the retirement vault? I’ve never heard of this happening, but I think he could still play. D*mn retirement. D*mn the induction.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS