Sep 27, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Rickey Henderson has spent this season as a “roving baserunning instructor” throughout Oakland’s minor league system and while visiting the big league club yesterday the Hall of Famer told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that he’d like to be on the A’s coaching staff:
It could be the same thing. If they bring all of their coaches back, I respect that. Just give me the opportunity to be a little more free to help out and trust me to help them out. Ideally, that’s my goal is on a major league club. I’d rather it be with the Oakland A’s. But if I can’t do it here, maybe I might have to go somewhere to get a little more experience.
Henderson’s only previous MLB coaching experience came when he spent part of 2007 as the Mets’ first base coach.
I’m in favor of anything that gets Henderson around more big-league players and more big-league beat reporters, because a) he’s one of the greatest players of all time, and b) he’s one of the greatest quote machines of all time. Hilarity will definitely ensue, and probably some good coaching too.
And if the A’s ever need an emergency outfielder, I’m pretty sure he could still steal a base at age 52.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)