Sep 27, 2010, 2:17 PM EST
Takashi Saito had hoped to be available out of the Braves’ bullpen over the weekend after an MRI exam revealed merely tendinitis in his sore shoulder, but those plans were ruined when he felt pain while playing catch Saturday.
Saito seems pretty frustrated by the setback:
I’m starting to think I should just stop saying it hurts. I’m thinking about taking the word “pain” out of my mind. I’ll throw from the side or underneath if I have to.
Pat Neshek has actually made a career out of the whole “throw from the side or underneath” thing and he still needed Tommy John surgery.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution speculates that the 40-year-old Saito’s “chances of returning to the mound this season, and maybe for his career, are growing dimmer.”
Certainly any time a 40-year-old pitcher has arm problems it could be the end of the line, but Saito has remained an elite reliever this season with a 2.52 ERA, .196 opponents’ batting average, and 69/14 K/BB ratio in 54 innings as Billy Wagner’s primary setup man.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)