Sep 27, 2010, 2:17 PM EST
Takashi Saito had hoped to be available out of the Braves’ bullpen over the weekend after an MRI exam revealed merely tendinitis in his sore shoulder, but those plans were ruined when he felt pain while playing catch Saturday.
Saito seems pretty frustrated by the setback:
I’m starting to think I should just stop saying it hurts. I’m thinking about taking the word “pain” out of my mind. I’ll throw from the side or underneath if I have to.
Pat Neshek has actually made a career out of the whole “throw from the side or underneath” thing and he still needed Tommy John surgery.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution speculates that the 40-year-old Saito’s “chances of returning to the mound this season, and maybe for his career, are growing dimmer.”
Certainly any time a 40-year-old pitcher has arm problems it could be the end of the line, but Saito has remained an elite reliever this season with a 2.52 ERA, .196 opponents’ batting average, and 69/14 K/BB ratio in 54 innings as Billy Wagner’s primary setup man.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)