Sep 27, 2010, 3:33 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal’s latest column spends some time looking at what the Red Sox might do this offseason. The biggest possibility — and its not clear if this is from a source with knowledge or if it was pulled out of Rosenthal’s, um, imagination — is that the Sox could forgo signing Adrian Beltre to an extension (he’ll likely reject his $10 million option), move Youkilis to third base, get a stop gap first baseman and then go after someone like Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, or maybe even Albert Pujols after 2011.
Which is nice, but that sounds a bit too much like the stuff fans say when they call into talk radio to me. I can’t say for certain how front office people think, but most of the well-run teams tend to act rather conservatively and pragmatically, don’t they? They realize that you can’t count on anything specific happening, especially with free agents, and thus they don’t make plans assuming good results in that regard two years down the road.
One of the few things that went right this year for the Sox was Adrian Beltre showing up every day, raking, and picking it like crazy at third base. Why wouldn’t the Sox try to re-sign him, and go with Youkilis at first base, taking 2011 before they think about 2012?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)