Sep 27, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal’s latest column spends some time looking at what the Red Sox might do this offseason. The biggest possibility — and its not clear if this is from a source with knowledge or if it was pulled out of Rosenthal’s, um, imagination — is that the Sox could forgo signing Adrian Beltre to an extension (he’ll likely reject his $10 million option), move Youkilis to third base, get a stop gap first baseman and then go after someone like Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, or maybe even Albert Pujols after 2011.
Which is nice, but that sounds a bit too much like the stuff fans say when they call into talk radio to me. I can’t say for certain how front office people think, but most of the well-run teams tend to act rather conservatively and pragmatically, don’t they? They realize that you can’t count on anything specific happening, especially with free agents, and thus they don’t make plans assuming good results in that regard two years down the road.
One of the few things that went right this year for the Sox was Adrian Beltre showing up every day, raking, and picking it like crazy at third base. Why wouldn’t the Sox try to re-sign him, and go with Youkilis at first base, taking 2011 before they think about 2012?
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)