Sep 27, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Justin Upton has just seven at-bats this month and has missed 11 straight starts thanks to a sore left shoulder, and Andrew Pentis of MLB.com reports that the 23-year-old outfielder will seek a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews.
And while plenty of athletes visit Dr. Andrews and leave his offices without going under the knife, the trips to Alabama lead to surgery often enough that Diamondbacks fans can start to worry about Upton.
Upton underwent an MRI exam on September 7 that revealed no significant damage, but the injury hasn’t improved any in the two weeks since then and he also had shoulder problems in 2006 and 2009. At the very least he seems highly unlikely to play in any of Arizona’s final six games.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (121)