Sep 28, 2010, 3:08 AM EDT
This story from Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times will have Red Sox fans quaking in their boots. Yes that’s right, Adrian Gonzalez likes Chicago!
”There’s definitely a lot of positives about Chicago that if they made an offer, I would be interested in it,” said Gonzalez, 28, whose ability to hit for power to all fields is one reason he has a career .693 slugging percentage at Wrigley Field (85 plate appearances).
”Chicago’s a great town, and they have great fans, and I like the fact that it’s a small ballpark. I know the wind can play against you, but it can play for you, too. There’s definitely some positives. And my wife loves Chicago, for the shopping.”
Gonzalez’s wife likes Chicago because of the shopping? What, there’s no good shopping in Southern California? I’m not buying that one personally, but I guess if Gisele Bundchen can do THIS to Tom Brady, anything is possible.
That being said, I’ll bet my Justin Bieber wig that the whole “small ballpark” thing — not to mention money — will play a lot bigger role in Gonzalez’s decision once he hits free agency in a year. So rest easy, Red Sox fans, though Gonzalez has never played at Fenway, I’m sure word will somehow reach his ears that it’s a bit of a hitter’s park.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17