Sep 28, 2010, 3:08 AM EDT
This story from Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times will have Red Sox fans quaking in their boots. Yes that’s right, Adrian Gonzalez likes Chicago!
”There’s definitely a lot of positives about Chicago that if they made an offer, I would be interested in it,” said Gonzalez, 28, whose ability to hit for power to all fields is one reason he has a career .693 slugging percentage at Wrigley Field (85 plate appearances).
”Chicago’s a great town, and they have great fans, and I like the fact that it’s a small ballpark. I know the wind can play against you, but it can play for you, too. There’s definitely some positives. And my wife loves Chicago, for the shopping.”
Gonzalez’s wife likes Chicago because of the shopping? What, there’s no good shopping in Southern California? I’m not buying that one personally, but I guess if Gisele Bundchen can do THIS to Tom Brady, anything is possible.
That being said, I’ll bet my Justin Bieber wig that the whole “small ballpark” thing — not to mention money — will play a lot bigger role in Gonzalez’s decision once he hits free agency in a year. So rest easy, Red Sox fans, though Gonzalez has never played at Fenway, I’m sure word will somehow reach his ears that it’s a bit of a hitter’s park.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)