Sep 28, 2010, 3:08 AM EDT
This story from Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times will have Red Sox fans quaking in their boots. Yes that’s right, Adrian Gonzalez likes Chicago!
”There’s definitely a lot of positives about Chicago that if they made an offer, I would be interested in it,” said Gonzalez, 28, whose ability to hit for power to all fields is one reason he has a career .693 slugging percentage at Wrigley Field (85 plate appearances).
”Chicago’s a great town, and they have great fans, and I like the fact that it’s a small ballpark. I know the wind can play against you, but it can play for you, too. There’s definitely some positives. And my wife loves Chicago, for the shopping.”
Gonzalez’s wife likes Chicago because of the shopping? What, there’s no good shopping in Southern California? I’m not buying that one personally, but I guess if Gisele Bundchen can do THIS to Tom Brady, anything is possible.
That being said, I’ll bet my Justin Bieber wig that the whole “small ballpark” thing — not to mention money — will play a lot bigger role in Gonzalez’s decision once he hits free agency in a year. So rest easy, Red Sox fans, though Gonzalez has never played at Fenway, I’m sure word will somehow reach his ears that it’s a bit of a hitter’s park.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)