Sep 28, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Having Monday off gave the Giants a lot more flexibility in dealing with their rotation this week, and they announced Tuesday that they’re taking advantage of it by moving Tim Lincecum’s start from Thursday to Wednesday.
Lincecum was switched with Madison Bumgarner in case the Giants face a must-win 163rd game next Monday. Lincecum could then pitch that one on regular rest. San Francisco currently holds a one-game lead over San Diego in the NL West, and both teams could make the postseason if the Braves falter this week.
In one of his finest performances this season, Lincecum limited the Rockies to one run and two hits over eight innings at Coors Field to win Friday. He’s allowed a total of eight runs in his last five starts, lowering his ERA from 3.80 to 3.51.
The Giants play three games with the Diamondbacks this week before finishing their schedule with a home series against the Padres. Barry Zito, Matt Cain and Jonathan Sanchez are scheduled to pitch in the final series.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)