Sep 28, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Having Monday off gave the Giants a lot more flexibility in dealing with their rotation this week, and they announced Tuesday that they’re taking advantage of it by moving Tim Lincecum’s start from Thursday to Wednesday.
Lincecum was switched with Madison Bumgarner in case the Giants face a must-win 163rd game next Monday. Lincecum could then pitch that one on regular rest. San Francisco currently holds a one-game lead over San Diego in the NL West, and both teams could make the postseason if the Braves falter this week.
In one of his finest performances this season, Lincecum limited the Rockies to one run and two hits over eight innings at Coors Field to win Friday. He’s allowed a total of eight runs in his last five starts, lowering his ERA from 3.80 to 3.51.
The Giants play three games with the Diamondbacks this week before finishing their schedule with a home series against the Padres. Barry Zito, Matt Cain and Jonathan Sanchez are scheduled to pitch in the final series.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)