Sep 28, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
This is classic. A’s owner Lew Wolff was interviewed after last night’s game. One of the questions was about how a team with pitching as good as the A’s have can improve the offense going into 2011. What are the options, Lew? Rent-a-bat? Sign a big free agent? Got any preferences?
“I don’t see a lot of moves. I don’t see the necessity of going out and getting someone for one year.”
What about longer than that? A four- or five-year deal for the right free agent?
“We want to be careful with that,” Wolff said. “I like the fact we’ve
tied up Suzuki and Brett Anderson, but you have to be careful you don’t
risk the team on one person . . . I’m sure Billy will come up with something”
So, no one year rentals. No long term signings. But Beane will “come up with something.”
No wonder Beane spends all of his time thinking about soccer these days.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)