Sep 28, 2010, 5:02 PM EST
This is classic. A’s owner Lew Wolff was interviewed after last night’s game. One of the questions was about how a team with pitching as good as the A’s have can improve the offense going into 2011. What are the options, Lew? Rent-a-bat? Sign a big free agent? Got any preferences?
“I don’t see a lot of moves. I don’t see the necessity of going out and getting someone for one year.”
What about longer than that? A four- or five-year deal for the right free agent?
“We want to be careful with that,” Wolff said. “I like the fact we’ve
tied up Suzuki and Brett Anderson, but you have to be careful you don’t
risk the team on one person . . . I’m sure Billy will come up with something”
So, no one year rentals. No long term signings. But Beane will “come up with something.”
No wonder Beane spends all of his time thinking about soccer these days.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)