Sep 28, 2010, 5:02 PM EST
This is classic. A’s owner Lew Wolff was interviewed after last night’s game. One of the questions was about how a team with pitching as good as the A’s have can improve the offense going into 2011. What are the options, Lew? Rent-a-bat? Sign a big free agent? Got any preferences?
“I don’t see a lot of moves. I don’t see the necessity of going out and getting someone for one year.”
What about longer than that? A four- or five-year deal for the right free agent?
“We want to be careful with that,” Wolff said. “I like the fact we’ve
tied up Suzuki and Brett Anderson, but you have to be careful you don’t
risk the team on one person . . . I’m sure Billy will come up with something”
So, no one year rentals. No long term signings. But Beane will “come up with something.”
No wonder Beane spends all of his time thinking about soccer these days.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)