Sep 28, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
This is classic. A’s owner Lew Wolff was interviewed after last night’s game. One of the questions was about how a team with pitching as good as the A’s have can improve the offense going into 2011. What are the options, Lew? Rent-a-bat? Sign a big free agent? Got any preferences?
“I don’t see a lot of moves. I don’t see the necessity of going out and getting someone for one year.”
What about longer than that? A four- or five-year deal for the right free agent?
“We want to be careful with that,” Wolff said. “I like the fact we’ve
tied up Suzuki and Brett Anderson, but you have to be careful you don’t
risk the team on one person . . . I’m sure Billy will come up with something”
So, no one year rentals. No long term signings. But Beane will “come up with something.”
No wonder Beane spends all of his time thinking about soccer these days.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)