How to fix the A's offense: Lew Wolff says Billy Beane "will come up with something"

Sep 28, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT

This is classic. A’s owner Lew Wolff was interviewed after last night’s game. One of the questions was about how a team with pitching as good as the A’s have can improve the offense going into 2011. What are the options, Lew? Rent-a-bat?  Sign a big free agent?  Got any preferences?

“I don’t see a lot of moves. I don’t see the necessity of going out and getting someone for one year.”

What about longer than that? A four- or five-year deal for the right free agent?

“We want to be careful with that,” Wolff said. “I like the fact we’ve
tied up Suzuki and Brett Anderson, but you have to be careful you don’t
risk the team on one person . . . I’m sure Billy will come up with something”

So, no one year rentals. No long term signings. But Beane will “come up with something.”

No wonder Beane spends all of his time thinking about soccer these days.

1. scatterbrian - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Lose Kouz and go after Beltre…..again. Pick up Coco’s option. Sign Werth.

2. John_Michael - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Set up printing press in stadium basement. Crank out stacks of Franklins. Run them through washing machine to give them a circulated look. Further launder money through Caymen Islands. Pay for everything scatterbrian just said.

3. scatterbrian - Sep 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I was also thinking “pay off my student loans and draft my nephew in 2026″ but I didn’t want to push it…

But back to reality, the A’s payroll projects to be about $40M next season (with Crisp’s option exercised) and they don’t have any significant free agents or arb cases on the horizon. There’s no reason they couldn’t add Beltre and Werth without resorting to some fantastical scenario…

4. Buccofan - Sep 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

But…but…but…Billy Beane is Known to be The Best Executive In Baseball. He is Never Wrong. He finds The Way to win it all every year. This Is The Truth.
    After all, look at all the World Series teams he’s had, all the World Championship pennants that fly over the (almost empty) Coliseum.

5. geoknows - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM

The “fantastic scenario” is imagining that Beltre and Werth actually want to go to Oakland and play in the mausoleum.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win