I almost got free Padres tickets by flirting with Heath Bell

Sep 28, 2010, 6:52 PM EDT

What are you lookin' at? You've never tried to butter up a relief pitcher for free stuff? Don't judge me.

I spend a lot of time on Twitter. Probably too much, but it’s OK, because my boss rarely walks by my desk.  Anyway, today I was letting my eyes glaze over at the screen when Padres closer Heath Bell tweeted the following:

“Whoever can tell me why they love the Padres the most gets two tickets to tomorrow night’s game.”

My impulsive response: “Because their closer is dreamy!”

Turns out I came in second.  The winner — a guy named “tdr43″ — should have been disqualified in my opinion, what with him using some third party Twitter software to go way, way over the 140 character limit. Granted, his response was passionate and more comprehensive than mine was, but where I come from simple butt-kissing gets you places. What is this world coming to?

Oh well. It’s not like I could have got to San Diego by tomorrow night anyway. And even if I could have, I just would have gone there to root against the Padres so that my Braves could take the wild card.  I’m guessing Heath Bell wouldn’t have liked that too much.

1. JimmyY - Sep 28, 2010 at 7:20 PM

……..yea and if you did I sure as hell would have let him know you were a poser! a phony! a fake! I’m sure he’d have given them to you anyway just to rub it in while the Padres beat out the Braves (maybe).

2. dprat - Sep 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM

“…while the Padres beat out the Braves (maybe).”
    The “maybe” part makes this the perfect example of Padres fans’ kickass, take-no-prisoners, off-the-hook zealotry.

3. Calcaterodactyl - Sep 29, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Your boss rarely walks by your desk? Why would your boss ever be in your mom’s basement?

4. Trevor B - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Craig, isn’t your twitter your name?

5. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Yep

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3029)