Sep 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Jarrod Saltalamacchia was diagnosed with a leg infection one week after joining the Red Sox, returned to get 13 at-bats, and has now been diagnosed with a torn left thumb ligament that will require surgery.
He won’t play again this season and will need 4-6 weeks of recovery time, which leaves him ample opportunity to be ready for spring training while adding to Saltalamacchia’s already lengthy list of health problems over the past couple years.
In between the leg infection and thumb injury Saltalamacchia impressed the Red Sox by showing that he’s conquered the throwing problems that plagued him earlier this season. “I think what we saw, we were actually kind of excited about,” manager Terry Francona told Ian Browne of MLB.com. “His running of the game and his energy behind the plate, we really liked. He came out throwing really well.”
With both Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek impending free agents the Red Sox were smart to bring in Saltalamacchia as a fallback option, particularly since he was available for pennies on the dollar from the Rangers. At the very least he figures to be in their plans next season as a backup behind the plate.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)