Sep 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
Jarrod Saltalamacchia was diagnosed with a leg infection one week after joining the Red Sox, returned to get 13 at-bats, and has now been diagnosed with a torn left thumb ligament that will require surgery.
He won’t play again this season and will need 4-6 weeks of recovery time, which leaves him ample opportunity to be ready for spring training while adding to Saltalamacchia’s already lengthy list of health problems over the past couple years.
In between the leg infection and thumb injury Saltalamacchia impressed the Red Sox by showing that he’s conquered the throwing problems that plagued him earlier this season. “I think what we saw, we were actually kind of excited about,” manager Terry Francona told Ian Browne of MLB.com. “His running of the game and his energy behind the plate, we really liked. He came out throwing really well.”
With both Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek impending free agents the Red Sox were smart to bring in Saltalamacchia as a fallback option, particularly since he was available for pennies on the dollar from the Rangers. At the very least he figures to be in their plans next season as a backup behind the plate.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)