Sep 28, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Justin Duchscherer missed all of last year following elbow surgery and made just five starts this year before undergoing season-ending hip surgery in June, but the oft-injured right-hander has begun throwing again as part of a six-month recovery timetable.
Here’s what Duchscherer told Jane Lee of MLB.com about his plans for next season:
When I’m healthy, I’ve always proven that I can pitch. The thing I have to prove is that I can stay healthy. I haven’t shown that yet. That’s the worst part about that, being a baseball player and knowing I can do it but not physically being able to. So that’s my goal, whether it’s here or somewhere else. I’m a baseball player, and I’d like to pitch at least a few more years. I’m too young to try to move on to something else.
Duchscherer is right in that he’s never ceased being an effective pitcher despite a seemingly never-ending assortment of injuries, posting an ERA under 3.50 in all but one of his last seven seasons. Of course, he’s thrown more than 30 innings just once since 2005.
Duchscherer told Lee that he’d be “open” to re-signing with the A’s, but also questioned whether he’d still be a fit given Oakland’s collection of young pitching. He’ll no doubt have to settle for a minor-league contract or a major-league deal that’s light on guaranteed money and heavy on innings-based incentives after earning $5.65 million for throwing all of 28 innings during the past two seasons.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)