Sep 28, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
After struggling through a toe injury for much of the season Mat Gamel has left the Brewers to undergo surgery Thursday. He’ll miss the final weekend of the season and more importantly his multi-position tryout will have to be put on hold for a while.
Gamel figures to be in the Brewers’ lineup next season after the 24-year-old spent a second straight season knocking around Triple-A pitching, but no one seems quite sure where he’ll be playing defensively.
He’s played almost exclusively third base in the minors since being drafted in 2005, but Gamel’s defense there is shaky and the Brewers have Casey McGehee entrenched at the hot corner. Gamel has said he prefers left field or right field to first base, but corner outfielders Ryan Braun and Corey Hart are both signed long term and first baseman Prince Fielder’s status is very much up in the air.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)