Sep 28, 2010, 1:17 PM EST
After struggling through a toe injury for much of the season Mat Gamel has left the Brewers to undergo surgery Thursday. He’ll miss the final weekend of the season and more importantly his multi-position tryout will have to be put on hold for a while.
Gamel figures to be in the Brewers’ lineup next season after the 24-year-old spent a second straight season knocking around Triple-A pitching, but no one seems quite sure where he’ll be playing defensively.
He’s played almost exclusively third base in the minors since being drafted in 2005, but Gamel’s defense there is shaky and the Brewers have Casey McGehee entrenched at the hot corner. Gamel has said he prefers left field or right field to first base, but corner outfielders Ryan Braun and Corey Hart are both signed long term and first baseman Prince Fielder’s status is very much up in the air.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)