Sep 28, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
After struggling through a toe injury for much of the season Mat Gamel has left the Brewers to undergo surgery Thursday. He’ll miss the final weekend of the season and more importantly his multi-position tryout will have to be put on hold for a while.
Gamel figures to be in the Brewers’ lineup next season after the 24-year-old spent a second straight season knocking around Triple-A pitching, but no one seems quite sure where he’ll be playing defensively.
He’s played almost exclusively third base in the minors since being drafted in 2005, but Gamel’s defense there is shaky and the Brewers have Casey McGehee entrenched at the hot corner. Gamel has said he prefers left field or right field to first base, but corner outfielders Ryan Braun and Corey Hart are both signed long term and first baseman Prince Fielder’s status is very much up in the air.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)