Sep 28, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
After struggling through a toe injury for much of the season Mat Gamel has left the Brewers to undergo surgery Thursday. He’ll miss the final weekend of the season and more importantly his multi-position tryout will have to be put on hold for a while.
Gamel figures to be in the Brewers’ lineup next season after the 24-year-old spent a second straight season knocking around Triple-A pitching, but no one seems quite sure where he’ll be playing defensively.
He’s played almost exclusively third base in the minors since being drafted in 2005, but Gamel’s defense there is shaky and the Brewers have Casey McGehee entrenched at the hot corner. Gamel has said he prefers left field or right field to first base, but corner outfielders Ryan Braun and Corey Hart are both signed long term and first baseman Prince Fielder’s status is very much up in the air.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)