Sep 28, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
After struggling through a toe injury for much of the season Mat Gamel has left the Brewers to undergo surgery Thursday. He’ll miss the final weekend of the season and more importantly his multi-position tryout will have to be put on hold for a while.
Gamel figures to be in the Brewers’ lineup next season after the 24-year-old spent a second straight season knocking around Triple-A pitching, but no one seems quite sure where he’ll be playing defensively.
He’s played almost exclusively third base in the minors since being drafted in 2005, but Gamel’s defense there is shaky and the Brewers have Casey McGehee entrenched at the hot corner. Gamel has said he prefers left field or right field to first base, but corner outfielders Ryan Braun and Corey Hart are both signed long term and first baseman Prince Fielder’s status is very much up in the air.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)