Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s been a foregone conclusion for weeks, but we now officially know who is playoff-bound in the American League.
In front of a crowd of 17,891, the Rays just shut out the Orioles by the score of 5-0, clinching the franchise’s second ever trip to the postseason. David Price delivered eight shutout frames en route to his 19th win of the season, striking out eight and walking none. He now ranks third in the American League with a 2.73 ERA. Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford both homered in the win.
We also just witnessed the Yankees defeat the Blue Jays by the score of 6-1, clinching at least the Wild Card and officially eliminating the Red Sox. CC Sabathia 8 1/3 innings of one-run ball on the win, allowing just three hits while striking out eight and walking a pair. The big left-hander now leads the American League with 21 wins to go along with a 3.18 ERA. Sabathia is not going be the AL Cy Young, but apparently he’s good enough to win the AL MVP.
OK, so here’s where we stand after tonight’s action. The Rays (94-63) remain a half-game in front of the Yankees (94-64) in the American League East.
(As reader Andrew reminds us, the Rays are technically 1 1/2 games up since they hold the tiebreaker vs. the Bombers)
The rest of the week breaks down like this:
Rays: Five games – one vs. BAL, four at KC
Yankees: Four games – one at TOR, three at BOS
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)