Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s been a foregone conclusion for weeks, but we now officially know who is playoff-bound in the American League.
In front of a crowd of 17,891, the Rays just shut out the Orioles by the score of 5-0, clinching the franchise’s second ever trip to the postseason. David Price delivered eight shutout frames en route to his 19th win of the season, striking out eight and walking none. He now ranks third in the American League with a 2.73 ERA. Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford both homered in the win.
We also just witnessed the Yankees defeat the Blue Jays by the score of 6-1, clinching at least the Wild Card and officially eliminating the Red Sox. CC Sabathia 8 1/3 innings of one-run ball on the win, allowing just three hits while striking out eight and walking a pair. The big left-hander now leads the American League with 21 wins to go along with a 3.18 ERA. Sabathia is not going be the AL Cy Young, but apparently he’s good enough to win the AL MVP.
OK, so here’s where we stand after tonight’s action. The Rays (94-63) remain a half-game in front of the Yankees (94-64) in the American League East.
(As reader Andrew reminds us, the Rays are technically 1 1/2 games up since they hold the tiebreaker vs. the Bombers)
The rest of the week breaks down like this:
Rays: Five games – one vs. BAL, four at KC
Yankees: Four games – one at TOR, three at BOS
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)