Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 PM EST
It’s been a foregone conclusion for weeks, but we now officially know who is playoff-bound in the American League.
In front of a crowd of 17,891, the Rays just shut out the Orioles by the score of 5-0, clinching the franchise’s second ever trip to the postseason. David Price delivered eight shutout frames en route to his 19th win of the season, striking out eight and walking none. He now ranks third in the American League with a 2.73 ERA. Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford both homered in the win.
We also just witnessed the Yankees defeat the Blue Jays by the score of 6-1, clinching at least the Wild Card and officially eliminating the Red Sox. CC Sabathia 8 1/3 innings of one-run ball on the win, allowing just three hits while striking out eight and walking a pair. The big left-hander now leads the American League with 21 wins to go along with a 3.18 ERA. Sabathia is not going be the AL Cy Young, but apparently he’s good enough to win the AL MVP.
OK, so here’s where we stand after tonight’s action. The Rays (94-63) remain a half-game in front of the Yankees (94-64) in the American League East.
(As reader Andrew reminds us, the Rays are technically 1 1/2 games up since they hold the tiebreaker vs. the Bombers)
The rest of the week breaks down like this:
Rays: Five games – one vs. BAL, four at KC
Yankees: Four games – one at TOR, three at BOS
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)