Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 PM EST
It’s been a foregone conclusion for weeks, but we now officially know who is playoff-bound in the American League.
In front of a crowd of 17,891, the Rays just shut out the Orioles by the score of 5-0, clinching the franchise’s second ever trip to the postseason. David Price delivered eight shutout frames en route to his 19th win of the season, striking out eight and walking none. He now ranks third in the American League with a 2.73 ERA. Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford both homered in the win.
We also just witnessed the Yankees defeat the Blue Jays by the score of 6-1, clinching at least the Wild Card and officially eliminating the Red Sox. CC Sabathia 8 1/3 innings of one-run ball on the win, allowing just three hits while striking out eight and walking a pair. The big left-hander now leads the American League with 21 wins to go along with a 3.18 ERA. Sabathia is not going be the AL Cy Young, but apparently he’s good enough to win the AL MVP.
OK, so here’s where we stand after tonight’s action. The Rays (94-63) remain a half-game in front of the Yankees (94-64) in the American League East.
(As reader Andrew reminds us, the Rays are technically 1 1/2 games up since they hold the tiebreaker vs. the Bombers)
The rest of the week breaks down like this:
Rays: Five games – one vs. BAL, four at KC
Yankees: Four games – one at TOR, three at BOS
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)