Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s been a foregone conclusion for weeks, but we now officially know who is playoff-bound in the American League.
In front of a crowd of 17,891, the Rays just shut out the Orioles by the score of 5-0, clinching the franchise’s second ever trip to the postseason. David Price delivered eight shutout frames en route to his 19th win of the season, striking out eight and walking none. He now ranks third in the American League with a 2.73 ERA. Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford both homered in the win.
We also just witnessed the Yankees defeat the Blue Jays by the score of 6-1, clinching at least the Wild Card and officially eliminating the Red Sox. CC Sabathia 8 1/3 innings of one-run ball on the win, allowing just three hits while striking out eight and walking a pair. The big left-hander now leads the American League with 21 wins to go along with a 3.18 ERA. Sabathia is not going be the AL Cy Young, but apparently he’s good enough to win the AL MVP.
OK, so here’s where we stand after tonight’s action. The Rays (94-63) remain a half-game in front of the Yankees (94-64) in the American League East.
(As reader Andrew reminds us, the Rays are technically 1 1/2 games up since they hold the tiebreaker vs. the Bombers)
The rest of the week breaks down like this:
Rays: Five games – one vs. BAL, four at KC
Yankees: Four games – one at TOR, three at BOS
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 107
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (108)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)