Sep 28, 2010, 10:31 PM EST
And what a way to do it.
Jay Bruce homered to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning against Tim Byrdak just a short while ago, propelling the Reds to a 3-2 walkoff win over the Astros. The Reds have wrapped up the National League Central division and are now headed to the postseason for the first time since 1995.
Edinson Volquez continued to make his case for being a part of the postseason rotation by allowing two runs over six innings while striking out eight and walking just one. He has a 1.95 ERA and 31/8 K/BB ratio over four starts since returning from the minor leagues. By the way, Aroldis Chapman paved the way for the walkoff victory by fanning two in a scoreless top of the ninth inning.
The Reds and Phillies have clinched their divisions, so now we wait to see how the NL West and the Wild Card shakes out.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (268)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)