The Rays aren't the only team in the Bay Area having trouble

Sep 28, 2010, 11:59 AM EDT

I do my best to avoid ever thinking about the NFL, but since some of you mentioned it in the comments, I feel obligated to note that the Rays aren’t the only team having trouble selling tickets in the Bay Area. The Bucs are facing an entire season’s worth of blackouts.

Can’t blame the stadium or the location for that one. You probably can blame ticket prices. Maybe the on-the-field product (I know the Bucs are 2-1, but are they any good? No clue). Really, though, I don’t know enough about football economics to even hope to draw an intelligent conclusion from this.

Maybe if we put them back in orange jerseys?

1. sportsdrenched - Sep 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM

…that everyone in the area is from some where else, and only care about their home teams.
    Maybe some other commenters in the area can verify this. But I had heard that there is a NYY and Cubs radio affiliate in the TB/STP metro area.
    If that’s true, talk about an uphill battle.

2. Old Gator - Sep 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Craig, the reason you don’t understand football economics is that it’s so logical. When you’ve been dealing for so long with baseball economics, the financial equivalent of string theory (and by that I don’t mean like a quipahttp://www.thocp.net/hardware/quipa.htm) – the plain simple relational lines and easy calculations you could do on your fingers (if you drop all those zeros) can seem terrifying.

3. Jonny5 - Sep 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM

When they were winning, with the chuckie doll at the helm, the Bucs packed that place. Packed it to the gills. How else could they pay for a gigantic pirate ship?

4. Old Gator - Sep 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Maybe they’re moonlight as coelocanth fishermen off the coast of Somalia?

5. Jonny5 - Sep 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM

The way they’ve played the last few years makes me think it might be more up their alley than football is. Imagine the reaction you’d get as a Pirate if you’re 7′ 345 lbs instead of a more Somalian size of 5’6″ 150 lbs…. They may not even need guns……

6. Tony A - Sep 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Maybe if they changed their name to “Devil Bucs”…

7. Kiwicricket - Sep 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I remember this from last year, and still I just don’t know what to make of it. The actually refuse to put games on television??? Incredible.

8. flpunx - Sep 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Fairweather fans run rampant in Tampa Bay. Yes, this goes against what is happening with the Rays right now, but the Bucs are a 5 win team this year, as they were last year, and until this team goes back to the playoffs, every single home game is going to be blacked out. If we (Steeler Nation) couldn’t even sell out that stadium, no one will. And it is BS to have to depend on the visiting team to bring 80% of the ticket sales into town with them just so you can sell out your game. Congratulations Tampa Bay, on another poorly attended, lackluster football season. No wonder the Glazers bought Chelsea United.

9. Kiwicricket - Sep 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Chelsea United?

10. RickB - Sep 28, 2010 at 5:01 PM

There is a Yankees radio affiliate in the Tampa area, but I think it is only allowed to carry games that don’t conflict with Rays games. It also has signal problems–a directional antenna pattern that doesn’t cover the whole area, and low power at night. I don’t know about a Cubs affiliate.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3077)