Adrian Beltre: family is going to dictate where I go

Sep 28, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT

I’m a family man myself, so I totally understand it when someone says they’re doing something for the good of their family. Nothing is more important, even if sometimes it appears that the ballgame on TV is. And if I don’t want to put down the book I’m reading. And even if when I say “I just need some time to clear my head” I’m really saying “I can’t stand the sight of any of you people right now and I need to go off and day dream about living in a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water at the moment.”

But enough about me. Let’s talk about Adrian Beltre, who just talked to WEEI’s Rob Bradford about what he’s going to do when he hits the free agent market, and family is a big part of that:

“I’ll see what’s best for me and my family,” Beltre explained. “This
year I was selfish enough, coming to the East Coast, knowing my wife was
pregnant and she would be away from me basically for the whole year.
This year is going to be more a family thing. It’s been tough. I haven’t
seen family like l wanted to. We’re going to settle down, discuss it,
and see what’s best for us.”

A lot of players who talk about doing what’s best for their family — especially those who employ Scott Boras — are really saying “I’m going to get a BIG FREAKIN’ CONTRACT.”  But Beltre’s comments about his family are pretty darn specific to be a ploy.

But even if I’m being too credulous here, and even if Beltre is taking a page from the Mike Hampton playbook, it’s worth noting that the Angels plan on spending money in Los Angeles this winter, making it quite possible for Beltre to kill both birds with one stone.

And with big money and the Pacific Ocean nearby, Beltre can very easily  snag himself a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water.

1. JimmyY - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Yes, he can, and then go in the tank for however many years of the contract, minus the last year of course.

2. Ari Collins - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Ohhhh, so that whole contract year theory really explains his performance in ’09, right? Also, the plural of anecdotes is data.

3. Old Gator - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Yeah, my ex-wife used to order me around a lot too. But my religion didn’t try to stand in the door and block my escape.

4. quint - Sep 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

He’s basically saying he wants a long term deal, and on the west coast.

5. matt - Sep 29, 2010 at 12:17 AM

He’s a dog. A team would be crazy to give this guy a monster deal. It can’t be just a coincidence that his numbers improve drastically in the last year of his contract. Give this dog some alpo on the way out.

6. Kiwicricket - Sep 29, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Adrian: Where should I go?
    ‘Highly extended family’ : We like Santa Barbara, but who ever is offering the most money.
    Adrian: Ok.

7. John - Sep 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM

so dumb :/

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3460)