Sep 28, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
I’m a family man myself, so I totally understand it when someone says they’re doing something for the good of their family. Nothing is more important, even if sometimes it appears that the ballgame on TV is. And if I don’t want to put down the book I’m reading. And even if when I say “I just need some time to clear my head” I’m really saying “I can’t stand the sight of any of you people right now and I need to go off and day dream about living in a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water at the moment.”
But enough about me. Let’s talk about Adrian Beltre, who just talked to WEEI’s Rob Bradford about what he’s going to do when he hits the free agent market, and family is a big part of that:
“I’ll see what’s best for me and my family,” Beltre explained. “This
year I was selfish enough, coming to the East Coast, knowing my wife was
pregnant and she would be away from me basically for the whole year.
This year is going to be more a family thing. It’s been tough. I haven’t
seen family like l wanted to. We’re going to settle down, discuss it,
and see what’s best for us.”
A lot of players who talk about doing what’s best for their family — especially those who employ Scott Boras — are really saying “I’m going to get a BIG FREAKIN’ CONTRACT.” But Beltre’s comments about his family are pretty darn specific to be a ploy.
But even if I’m being too credulous here, and even if Beltre is taking a page from the Mike Hampton playbook, it’s worth noting that the Angels plan on spending money in Los Angeles this winter, making it quite possible for Beltre to kill both birds with one stone.
And with big money and the Pacific Ocean nearby, Beltre can very easily snag himself a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)