Sep 28, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
I’m a family man myself, so I totally understand it when someone says they’re doing something for the good of their family. Nothing is more important, even if sometimes it appears that the ballgame on TV is. And if I don’t want to put down the book I’m reading. And even if when I say “I just need some time to clear my head” I’m really saying “I can’t stand the sight of any of you people right now and I need to go off and day dream about living in a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water at the moment.”
But enough about me. Let’s talk about Adrian Beltre, who just talked to WEEI’s Rob Bradford about what he’s going to do when he hits the free agent market, and family is a big part of that:
“I’ll see what’s best for me and my family,” Beltre explained. “This
year I was selfish enough, coming to the East Coast, knowing my wife was
pregnant and she would be away from me basically for the whole year.
This year is going to be more a family thing. It’s been tough. I haven’t
seen family like l wanted to. We’re going to settle down, discuss it,
and see what’s best for us.”
A lot of players who talk about doing what’s best for their family — especially those who employ Scott Boras — are really saying “I’m going to get a BIG FREAKIN’ CONTRACT.” But Beltre’s comments about his family are pretty darn specific to be a ploy.
But even if I’m being too credulous here, and even if Beltre is taking a page from the Mike Hampton playbook, it’s worth noting that the Angels plan on spending money in Los Angeles this winter, making it quite possible for Beltre to kill both birds with one stone.
And with big money and the Pacific Ocean nearby, Beltre can very easily snag himself a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)