Sep 28, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
I’m a family man myself, so I totally understand it when someone says they’re doing something for the good of their family. Nothing is more important, even if sometimes it appears that the ballgame on TV is. And if I don’t want to put down the book I’m reading. And even if when I say “I just need some time to clear my head” I’m really saying “I can’t stand the sight of any of you people right now and I need to go off and day dream about living in a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water at the moment.”
But enough about me. Let’s talk about Adrian Beltre, who just talked to WEEI’s Rob Bradford about what he’s going to do when he hits the free agent market, and family is a big part of that:
“I’ll see what’s best for me and my family,” Beltre explained. “This
year I was selfish enough, coming to the East Coast, knowing my wife was
pregnant and she would be away from me basically for the whole year.
This year is going to be more a family thing. It’s been tough. I haven’t
seen family like l wanted to. We’re going to settle down, discuss it,
and see what’s best for us.”
A lot of players who talk about doing what’s best for their family — especially those who employ Scott Boras — are really saying “I’m going to get a BIG FREAKIN’ CONTRACT.” But Beltre’s comments about his family are pretty darn specific to be a ploy.
But even if I’m being too credulous here, and even if Beltre is taking a page from the Mike Hampton playbook, it’s worth noting that the Angels plan on spending money in Los Angeles this winter, making it quite possible for Beltre to kill both birds with one stone.
And with big money and the Pacific Ocean nearby, Beltre can very easily snag himself a sparsely-furnished apartment next to a calming body of water.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)