Be happy when R.A. Dickey finally gets his payday

Sep 29, 2010, 9:39 AM EST

The next time you rail against millionaire ballplayers, remember that not all of them — not even all of them who have been in and around the big leagues for a while — are rollin’ in it. R.A. Dickey certainly ain’t rich yet, though hopefully he’ll cash in this winter with either a nice arbitration award or an arbitration-avoiding deal with the Mets.

Why should you root for him to some dough? Because after reading this morning’s story about Dickey’s travels and his family — a wife and three kids in Nashville with a fourth on the way — by Andy McCollough of the Star-Ledger, you can’t not root for him.

1. BC - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Sign the dude!!!!!
    A) It’s totally cool to have a knuckleballer on your team.
    B) He wins.
    C) See A, above.

2. ThatGuy - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Its amazing to me how a guy who has trolled around the league for 10 years can just all of a sudden put it together for a year at 35 years old. Sure his .280 BABIP is a little lower than his career average, and probably helps a little. But you have to admire his perserverence.

3. BleedGreen - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Can I hope that the Phils try and sign Dickey somehow? He’d be great to replace Kendrick in the rotation, seems like a really good guy.

4. Adenzeno - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Of course the MLB minimum is a pretty nice paycheck as well……But I love R.A.-and as a MEts fan hope they sign him long term- most Knucleballers have some ugly years strewn through their careers, so if RA has one, I hope Mets fans understand

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

OK, I don’t want to be a “Dickey” or anything, but where’s the family tragedy in that article? I kept reading, waiting to hear something about a tragedy, and the only thing I found out was about a 35 year old pitcher, who has earned close to 2 million dollars in his career, who has found a second-wind in his career. Yeah, a nice feel-good story, but still…he has earned at least 1.6 MILLION dollars(as per BaseballReference.com). Sorry, but I didn’t read the story and feel like I couldn’t NOT root for him. Maybe I’m a scrooge :(

6. Jonny5 - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM

You can’t help but root for this guy. Except when he’s facing your team and all. I saw him live last Friday, and it was cool watching him baffle guys with his knuckler.

7. Nikoli - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Can the Phils sign him so they don’t have to face him 4 or 5 times next year? Adding him to the rotation would be a bonus.

8. Jpoo - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Does anyone know where a super large version of that picture of R.A. Dickey is? The photoshop opportunities are endless.

9. BC - Sep 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I don’t know. But I found a photo of his 1997 rookie card.

10. BC - Sep 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Actually, hold the phone. Here it is….

11. ippississiM - Sep 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM

It’s the PEDs, man. Just know the knuckleballer’s juiced, look at his stats! Obviously, anytime anyone has a career year, that’s the only conclus… Oh, did I almost say that? I mean, “Questions remain….”

12. Utley's hair - Sep 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Hmm…the Phightins can’t hit him, so why not sign him, Rube? We need at least a fifth starter.

13. Utley's hair - Sep 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I inadvertantly skipped over your comment, but I mirrored it down below.

14. Kevin S. - Sep 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM

He’s not a free agent.

15. Kiwicricket - Sep 29, 2010 at 1:05 PM

And I thought Tom and the bottle of Vodka was great. Nice work Sir.

16. Utley's hair - Sep 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM