Sep 29, 2010, 9:39 AM EDT
The next time you rail against millionaire ballplayers, remember that not all of them — not even all of them who have been in and around the big leagues for a while — are rollin’ in it. R.A. Dickey certainly ain’t rich yet, though hopefully he’ll cash in this winter with either a nice arbitration award or an arbitration-avoiding deal with the Mets.
Why should you root for him to some dough? Because after reading this morning’s story about Dickey’s travels and his family — a wife and three kids in Nashville with a fourth on the way — by Andy McCollough of the Star-Ledger, you can’t not root for him.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (139)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (84)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)