Sep 29, 2010, 9:39 AM EDT
The next time you rail against millionaire ballplayers, remember that not all of them — not even all of them who have been in and around the big leagues for a while — are rollin’ in it. R.A. Dickey certainly ain’t rich yet, though hopefully he’ll cash in this winter with either a nice arbitration award or an arbitration-avoiding deal with the Mets.
Why should you root for him to some dough? Because after reading this morning’s story about Dickey’s travels and his family — a wife and three kids in Nashville with a fourth on the way — by Andy McCollough of the Star-Ledger, you can’t not root for him.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)