Sep 29, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Frank Francisco was optimistic enough after throwing from flat ground last week that he hoped to return from a month-long back injury to join the Rangers’ bullpen for the ALDS, but according to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that’s been ruled out.
Ron Washington told Wilson that the most recent MRI exam “showed improvement in the muscle but not enough for him to start throwing off a mound.” He could still be added to the postseason roster for the ALCS or World Series, but first Francisco will have to show that he’s healthy by rehabbing in Arizona.
Francisco began the season as Texas’ closer before losing the job to Neftali Feliz following back-to-back ugly outings in early April, but recovered to post a 2.84 ERA and 57/16 K/BB ratio in 50 innings prior to landing on the disabled list last month. He would have been a nice addition to what is already a very strong playoff pitching staff, but now he’s a long shot to pitch in October.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)