Sep 29, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
After beating out Jerry Dipoto for the Diamondbacks general manager job Kevin Towers is now trying to talk the former interim GM into staying with the organization as his right-hand man.
They met yesterday for the second time and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that they’re “planning to spend more time together in Los Angeles this weekend.” How romantic.
Anyway, it certainly sounds like Towers is optimistic about keeping Dipoto around:
I think it looks good. He can only answer that. I certainly let it be known to him that I would love to have him here. He’d be a huge asset to the organization. I think we still need to work through some philosophical things. We share similar thoughts, beliefs in scouting and player development. I certainly don’t expect him to implement something into our system he doesn’t have total belief in. We’ve talked a little bit about it and we’ll talk more about it in LA. I certainly hope he stays.
Dipoto figures to be a candidate for several GM jobs that could open up this offseason, so it may be a situation where he’s willing to remain in Arizona as Towers’ assistant if he fails to land one of those gigs.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)