Sep 29, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
After beating out Jerry Dipoto for the Diamondbacks general manager job Kevin Towers is now trying to talk the former interim GM into staying with the organization as his right-hand man.
They met yesterday for the second time and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that they’re “planning to spend more time together in Los Angeles this weekend.” How romantic.
Anyway, it certainly sounds like Towers is optimistic about keeping Dipoto around:
I think it looks good. He can only answer that. I certainly let it be known to him that I would love to have him here. He’d be a huge asset to the organization. I think we still need to work through some philosophical things. We share similar thoughts, beliefs in scouting and player development. I certainly don’t expect him to implement something into our system he doesn’t have total belief in. We’ve talked a little bit about it and we’ll talk more about it in LA. I certainly hope he stays.
Dipoto figures to be a candidate for several GM jobs that could open up this offseason, so it may be a situation where he’s willing to remain in Arizona as Towers’ assistant if he fails to land one of those gigs.
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 1
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 5
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 18
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 41
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 22