Sep 29, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
After beating out Jerry Dipoto for the Diamondbacks general manager job Kevin Towers is now trying to talk the former interim GM into staying with the organization as his right-hand man.
They met yesterday for the second time and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that they’re “planning to spend more time together in Los Angeles this weekend.” How romantic.
Anyway, it certainly sounds like Towers is optimistic about keeping Dipoto around:
I think it looks good. He can only answer that. I certainly let it be known to him that I would love to have him here. He’d be a huge asset to the organization. I think we still need to work through some philosophical things. We share similar thoughts, beliefs in scouting and player development. I certainly don’t expect him to implement something into our system he doesn’t have total belief in. We’ve talked a little bit about it and we’ll talk more about it in LA. I certainly hope he stays.
Dipoto figures to be a candidate for several GM jobs that could open up this offseason, so it may be a situation where he’s willing to remain in Arizona as Towers’ assistant if he fails to land one of those gigs.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)