Sep 29, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
After beating out Jerry Dipoto for the Diamondbacks general manager job Kevin Towers is now trying to talk the former interim GM into staying with the organization as his right-hand man.
They met yesterday for the second time and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that they’re “planning to spend more time together in Los Angeles this weekend.” How romantic.
Anyway, it certainly sounds like Towers is optimistic about keeping Dipoto around:
I think it looks good. He can only answer that. I certainly let it be known to him that I would love to have him here. He’d be a huge asset to the organization. I think we still need to work through some philosophical things. We share similar thoughts, beliefs in scouting and player development. I certainly don’t expect him to implement something into our system he doesn’t have total belief in. We’ve talked a little bit about it and we’ll talk more about it in LA. I certainly hope he stays.
Dipoto figures to be a candidate for several GM jobs that could open up this offseason, so it may be a situation where he’s willing to remain in Arizona as Towers’ assistant if he fails to land one of those gigs.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 32
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)