Sep 29, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Miguel Cabrera left Monday’s game after tweaking his ankle running the bases and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that an MRI exam revealed the dreaded high-ankle sprain that will knock him out for the final six games of the season.
Whether missing the final week will significantly hurt Cabrera’s chances for the MVP award is unclear, because some voters may have already decided on their picks or perhaps even sent in their ballots at this point. Plus, it’s not like he could have carried the Tigers into the playoffs with a monster finish.
Cabrera ends the season hitting .328/.420/.622 with 38 homers, 45 doubles, 89 walks, and a league-leading 126 RBIs in 150 games. Purely in terms of offense Cabrera has certainly been as valuable as any player in the league, ranking second to only Josh Hamilton in OPS while playing 20 more games than the Rangers outfielder.
However, players like Evan Longoria, Robinson Cano, and Adrian Beltre have also been excellent offensively while contributing significantly more value than Cabrera defensively and playing tougher, less offense-driven positions. And of course if the 28 writers who actually vote on the MVP place an emphasis on playoff-bound teams that would hurt Cabrera as well.
Cabrera would definitely be a worthy MVP choice, but doesn’t strike me as a no-brainer pick, so I’m curious to see how the voting shakes out. He finished fourth in the balloting last year, controversially receiving the only first-place vote that didn’t go to Joe Mauer.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)