Sep 29, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Miguel Cabrera left Monday’s game after tweaking his ankle running the bases and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that an MRI exam revealed the dreaded high-ankle sprain that will knock him out for the final six games of the season.
Whether missing the final week will significantly hurt Cabrera’s chances for the MVP award is unclear, because some voters may have already decided on their picks or perhaps even sent in their ballots at this point. Plus, it’s not like he could have carried the Tigers into the playoffs with a monster finish.
Cabrera ends the season hitting .328/.420/.622 with 38 homers, 45 doubles, 89 walks, and a league-leading 126 RBIs in 150 games. Purely in terms of offense Cabrera has certainly been as valuable as any player in the league, ranking second to only Josh Hamilton in OPS while playing 20 more games than the Rangers outfielder.
However, players like Evan Longoria, Robinson Cano, and Adrian Beltre have also been excellent offensively while contributing significantly more value than Cabrera defensively and playing tougher, less offense-driven positions. And of course if the 28 writers who actually vote on the MVP place an emphasis on playoff-bound teams that would hurt Cabrera as well.
Cabrera would definitely be a worthy MVP choice, but doesn’t strike me as a no-brainer pick, so I’m curious to see how the voting shakes out. He finished fourth in the balloting last year, controversially receiving the only first-place vote that didn’t go to Joe Mauer.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)