Sep 29, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Miguel Cabrera left Monday’s game after tweaking his ankle running the bases and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that an MRI exam revealed the dreaded high-ankle sprain that will knock him out for the final six games of the season.
Whether missing the final week will significantly hurt Cabrera’s chances for the MVP award is unclear, because some voters may have already decided on their picks or perhaps even sent in their ballots at this point. Plus, it’s not like he could have carried the Tigers into the playoffs with a monster finish.
Cabrera ends the season hitting .328/.420/.622 with 38 homers, 45 doubles, 89 walks, and a league-leading 126 RBIs in 150 games. Purely in terms of offense Cabrera has certainly been as valuable as any player in the league, ranking second to only Josh Hamilton in OPS while playing 20 more games than the Rangers outfielder.
However, players like Evan Longoria, Robinson Cano, and Adrian Beltre have also been excellent offensively while contributing significantly more value than Cabrera defensively and playing tougher, less offense-driven positions. And of course if the 28 writers who actually vote on the MVP place an emphasis on playoff-bound teams that would hurt Cabrera as well.
Cabrera would definitely be a worthy MVP choice, but doesn’t strike me as a no-brainer pick, so I’m curious to see how the voting shakes out. He finished fourth in the balloting last year, controversially receiving the only first-place vote that didn’t go to Joe Mauer.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)