Sep 29, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
lar at Wezen-Ball followed up on his post from this morning about Tom Boswell and the “Jose Canseco milkshake” comment from last night’s episode of “The Tenth Inning.” The upshot: Boswell had reported the “Jose Canseco milkshake” incident at the time.
The implications: I don’t think any, really. At least for the purposes I went on about this morning. There was still no mention of the player himself, and no mention of the link Boswell made last night between his milkshake intake and his home run totals. The context lar lays out clearly shows that, at least in Boswell’s mind,
the “milkshake” references clearly meant PEDs of some kind or another.
Most importantly, I think, is that, even if the “milkshake” story was out there 20 years ago, between then and now, that player became a Hall of Famer. And it’s that — more than anything else — which could have and should have led to Boswell revisiting this story after steroids became issue number one in baseball in 2002.
I mentioned the relevance of the Hall of Fame angle this morning so I won’t repeat it here. Rob Neyer expanded on that this afternoon and made a couple of excellent points about how those writers entrusted with the Hall of Fame vote should deal with this information going forward. Both lar and Rob’s pieces are must-reads if you care at all about this topic.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)