Sep 29, 2010, 3:31 PM EST
lar at Wezen-Ball followed up on his post from this morning about Tom Boswell and the “Jose Canseco milkshake” comment from last night’s episode of “The Tenth Inning.” The upshot: Boswell had reported the “Jose Canseco milkshake” incident at the time.
The implications: I don’t think any, really. At least for the purposes I went on about this morning. There was still no mention of the player himself, and no mention of the link Boswell made last night between his milkshake intake and his home run totals. The context lar lays out clearly shows that, at least in Boswell’s mind,
the “milkshake” references clearly meant PEDs of some kind or another.
Most importantly, I think, is that, even if the “milkshake” story was out there 20 years ago, between then and now, that player became a Hall of Famer. And it’s that — more than anything else — which could have and should have led to Boswell revisiting this story after steroids became issue number one in baseball in 2002.
I mentioned the relevance of the Hall of Fame angle this morning so I won’t repeat it here. Rob Neyer expanded on that this afternoon and made a couple of excellent points about how those writers entrusted with the Hall of Fame vote should deal with this information going forward. Both lar and Rob’s pieces are must-reads if you care at all about this topic.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (304)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)