Sep 29, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
lar at Wezen-Ball followed up on his post from this morning about Tom Boswell and the “Jose Canseco milkshake” comment from last night’s episode of “The Tenth Inning.” The upshot: Boswell had reported the “Jose Canseco milkshake” incident at the time.
The implications: I don’t think any, really. At least for the purposes I went on about this morning. There was still no mention of the player himself, and no mention of the link Boswell made last night between his milkshake intake and his home run totals. The context lar lays out clearly shows that, at least in Boswell’s mind,
the “milkshake” references clearly meant PEDs of some kind or another.
Most importantly, I think, is that, even if the “milkshake” story was out there 20 years ago, between then and now, that player became a Hall of Famer. And it’s that — more than anything else — which could have and should have led to Boswell revisiting this story after steroids became issue number one in baseball in 2002.
I mentioned the relevance of the Hall of Fame angle this morning so I won’t repeat it here. Rob Neyer expanded on that this afternoon and made a couple of excellent points about how those writers entrusted with the Hall of Fame vote should deal with this information going forward. Both lar and Rob’s pieces are must-reads if you care at all about this topic.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 9
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)