Sep 29, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
lar at Wezen-Ball followed up on his post from this morning about Tom Boswell and the “Jose Canseco milkshake” comment from last night’s episode of “The Tenth Inning.” The upshot: Boswell had reported the “Jose Canseco milkshake” incident at the time.
The implications: I don’t think any, really. At least for the purposes I went on about this morning. There was still no mention of the player himself, and no mention of the link Boswell made last night between his milkshake intake and his home run totals. The context lar lays out clearly shows that, at least in Boswell’s mind,
the “milkshake” references clearly meant PEDs of some kind or another.
Most importantly, I think, is that, even if the “milkshake” story was out there 20 years ago, between then and now, that player became a Hall of Famer. And it’s that — more than anything else — which could have and should have led to Boswell revisiting this story after steroids became issue number one in baseball in 2002.
I mentioned the relevance of the Hall of Fame angle this morning so I won’t repeat it here. Rob Neyer expanded on that this afternoon and made a couple of excellent points about how those writers entrusted with the Hall of Fame vote should deal with this information going forward. Both lar and Rob’s pieces are must-reads if you care at all about this topic.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (93)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)