Sep 29, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Buster Olney just tweeted that the “speculation among rival executives” is
that the Angels and Red Sox are going to go “wallet-to-wallet” for Carl
Crawford this winter. Interesting if true. We’ve heard that the Angels want him and are ready to spend to do it. The Red Sox as a player for Carwford seems less intuitive.
Why? Because one of the biggest thing Crawford brings to the table is his range in left field, and for half of the Red Sox’ schedule — the home half — range in left field is not exactly the most important thing in the world thanks to the Monstah.
Not that going after him wouldn’t still be a good idea. For one thing, those other 81 games count. For another thing, before the Epstein Administration, the Red Sox spent years thinking that they have to get guys who “fit” Fenway Park, and that was never all that successful. The name of the game is to get the best players you can, and Crawford is clearly one of the best players available this winter, if not they best.
Still, I wonder if there isn’t something about Crawford in Fenway that makes him slightly less valuable to Boston, such that it might affect how hard they bid against the Angels for him.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)