Sep 29, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Buster Olney just tweeted that the “speculation among rival executives” is
that the Angels and Red Sox are going to go “wallet-to-wallet” for Carl
Crawford this winter. Interesting if true. We’ve heard that the Angels want him and are ready to spend to do it. The Red Sox as a player for Carwford seems less intuitive.
Why? Because one of the biggest thing Crawford brings to the table is his range in left field, and for half of the Red Sox’ schedule — the home half — range in left field is not exactly the most important thing in the world thanks to the Monstah.
Not that going after him wouldn’t still be a good idea. For one thing, those other 81 games count. For another thing, before the Epstein Administration, the Red Sox spent years thinking that they have to get guys who “fit” Fenway Park, and that was never all that successful. The name of the game is to get the best players you can, and Crawford is clearly one of the best players available this winter, if not they best.
Still, I wonder if there isn’t something about Crawford in Fenway that makes him slightly less valuable to Boston, such that it might affect how hard they bid against the Angels for him.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?