Sep 29, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Buster Olney just tweeted that the “speculation among rival executives” is
that the Angels and Red Sox are going to go “wallet-to-wallet” for Carl
Crawford this winter. Interesting if true. We’ve heard that the Angels want him and are ready to spend to do it. The Red Sox as a player for Carwford seems less intuitive.
Why? Because one of the biggest thing Crawford brings to the table is his range in left field, and for half of the Red Sox’ schedule — the home half — range in left field is not exactly the most important thing in the world thanks to the Monstah.
Not that going after him wouldn’t still be a good idea. For one thing, those other 81 games count. For another thing, before the Epstein Administration, the Red Sox spent years thinking that they have to get guys who “fit” Fenway Park, and that was never all that successful. The name of the game is to get the best players you can, and Crawford is clearly one of the best players available this winter, if not they best.
Still, I wonder if there isn’t something about Crawford in Fenway that makes him slightly less valuable to Boston, such that it might affect how hard they bid against the Angels for him.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)