Sep 29, 2010, 5:48 PM EDT
Mike Leake hasn’t pitched since August 24 because of a fatigued shoulder and today the Reds officially shut down the 22-year-old rookie, ruling him out for the playoffs.
Here’s what manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
He’s going to travel with the team, but there’s not enough time for him to get ready. He hasn’t been on the mound, and some of the guys that have been on the mound are sharper and more ready than he is right now. Like I told him last night, without him we wouldn’t be here now. Take away his eight victories and other fine games that we won, he’s a big part of this team.
Leake got off to a great start after skipping the minors to join the Opening Day rotation, going 5-0 with a 2.22 ERA in 73 innings through early June, but after that he coughed up 55 runs in 65 innings. He finishes with a 4.23 ERA and 91/49 K/BB ratio in 138 innings overall, and also went 16-for-48 (.333) at the plate.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)