Sep 29, 2010, 4:17 PM EST
John Manuel of Baseball America reports that the Angels have fired Eddie Bane, who has been the team’s scouting director since 2004 and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
In fact, Bane was recently among the finalists interviewed for the Diamondbacks’ general manager job that ultimately went to former Padres general manager Kevin Towers. While the Angels have certainly been very disappointing this season and some shakeups in general wouldn’t be surprising, letting go of Bane definitely comes as a big surprise.
It’ll be interesting to hear if perhaps the 58-year-old Bane initiated the break-up with an eye toward joining another organization in a prominent role.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 0
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 22
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 85
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)