Sep 29, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
John Manuel of Baseball America reports that the Angels have fired Eddie Bane, who has been the team’s scouting director since 2004 and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
In fact, Bane was recently among the finalists interviewed for the Diamondbacks’ general manager job that ultimately went to former Padres general manager Kevin Towers. While the Angels have certainly been very disappointing this season and some shakeups in general wouldn’t be surprising, letting go of Bane definitely comes as a big surprise.
It’ll be interesting to hear if perhaps the 58-year-old Bane initiated the break-up with an eye toward joining another organization in a prominent role.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 49
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)