Sep 29, 2010, 4:17 PM EST
John Manuel of Baseball America reports that the Angels have fired Eddie Bane, who has been the team’s scouting director since 2004 and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
In fact, Bane was recently among the finalists interviewed for the Diamondbacks’ general manager job that ultimately went to former Padres general manager Kevin Towers. While the Angels have certainly been very disappointing this season and some shakeups in general wouldn’t be surprising, letting go of Bane definitely comes as a big surprise.
It’ll be interesting to hear if perhaps the 58-year-old Bane initiated the break-up with an eye toward joining another organization in a prominent role.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (153)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)