Sep 29, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
A few weeks ago, A Guy I Talked to Who Knows Stuff said that the Cubs players are big, big Mike Quade fans and wanted him to get the job. It was pretty obvious, however, that the players were going to keep quiet about it and let Jim Hendry and Tom Ricketts do their job because, ultimately, it’s their call. Ryan Dempster decided last night that keeping mum is no fun:
Dempster, who notched his 15th win with seven strong innings, became the first Cubs player to outwardly endorse Quade for the job in 2011.
been very upfront, very honest with all of us,” Dempster said. “He’s
been tremendously supportive, he’s given us a lot of confidence to go
out there. What he’s done for the bullpen- those guys have really
stepped up and he’s believed in them.
done a great job and I hope that he’s here longer than just this year. I
hope he’s managing for us next year because he deserves it. He’s done
everything they’ve asked, and everyone in here really likes him.”
If the Cubs make Mike Quade the manager over Ryne Sandberg, there will be a lot of bummed fans. But those will be fans who haven’t been paying attention to the fact that the Cubs have played good baseball for Quade. And ultimately, making a managerial choice based on fan sentiment — especially casual fan sentiment — is madness.
The players like him and want him to stay. He’s done a fine job. The smart play, it seems, would be to give Mike Quade the gig full time.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)