Sep 29, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
A few weeks ago, A Guy I Talked to Who Knows Stuff said that the Cubs players are big, big Mike Quade fans and wanted him to get the job. It was pretty obvious, however, that the players were going to keep quiet about it and let Jim Hendry and Tom Ricketts do their job because, ultimately, it’s their call. Ryan Dempster decided last night that keeping mum is no fun:
Dempster, who notched his 15th win with seven strong innings, became the first Cubs player to outwardly endorse Quade for the job in 2011.
been very upfront, very honest with all of us,” Dempster said. “He’s
been tremendously supportive, he’s given us a lot of confidence to go
out there. What he’s done for the bullpen- those guys have really
stepped up and he’s believed in them.
done a great job and I hope that he’s here longer than just this year. I
hope he’s managing for us next year because he deserves it. He’s done
everything they’ve asked, and everyone in here really likes him.”
If the Cubs make Mike Quade the manager over Ryne Sandberg, there will be a lot of bummed fans. But those will be fans who haven’t been paying attention to the fact that the Cubs have played good baseball for Quade. And ultimately, making a managerial choice based on fan sentiment — especially casual fan sentiment — is madness.
The players like him and want him to stay. He’s done a fine job. The smart play, it seems, would be to give Mike Quade the gig full time.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 1
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 29
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)