Sep 29, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
A few weeks ago, A Guy I Talked to Who Knows Stuff said that the Cubs players are big, big Mike Quade fans and wanted him to get the job. It was pretty obvious, however, that the players were going to keep quiet about it and let Jim Hendry and Tom Ricketts do their job because, ultimately, it’s their call. Ryan Dempster decided last night that keeping mum is no fun:
Dempster, who notched his 15th win with seven strong innings, became the first Cubs player to outwardly endorse Quade for the job in 2011.
been very upfront, very honest with all of us,” Dempster said. “He’s
been tremendously supportive, he’s given us a lot of confidence to go
out there. What he’s done for the bullpen- those guys have really
stepped up and he’s believed in them.
done a great job and I hope that he’s here longer than just this year. I
hope he’s managing for us next year because he deserves it. He’s done
everything they’ve asked, and everyone in here really likes him.”
If the Cubs make Mike Quade the manager over Ryne Sandberg, there will be a lot of bummed fans. But those will be fans who haven’t been paying attention to the fact that the Cubs have played good baseball for Quade. And ultimately, making a managerial choice based on fan sentiment — especially casual fan sentiment — is madness.
The players like him and want him to stay. He’s done a fine job. The smart play, it seems, would be to give Mike Quade the gig full time.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)