The Mariners game ends, well, in the way you might expect a Mariners game to end

Sep 29, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT

I wasn’t watching the Rangers-Mariners game (there was some paint drying in my basement and I really felt like keeping my eye on that for a bit), but reader Evan A. pinged me to tell me that it ended all crazy, so I went and looked it up to see what happened. The upshot:

Tie game, Nelson Cruz of the Rangers at bat. Danny Cortes pitching for the M’s. Mitch Moreland on first base.  Cortes strikes out Cruz, but it’s a wild pitch! Cruz takes off for first. Catcher Guillermo Quiroz fires down to Justin Smoak at first, but Smoak pulls his hand away before he can catch the ball, because he thinks (it seems) as though Cruz is going to hit it.

The ball heads down the right field line. Meanwhile, Moreland is motoring. Ichiro picks it up and throws home, but it’s offline and Moreland scores the winning run.

A walkoff strikeout.  Never seen that one before.  Leave it to Seattle.

1. RichardInBigD - Sep 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

It was GLORIOUS!!!, and not all that unusual of a win for the Rangers (remember the walkoff HBP). They have to win out to fulfill Nolan’s pre-season prediction of 92 wins, and to me, this is an indication that the baseball gods are taking a shine to the boys in Arlington. Josh Hamilton predicted 96 wins, but he probably didn’t take into account his extended absence from the team…

2. Steve C - Sep 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I think the most important thing about this game is that the Mariners just broke the 500 run mark.
    For comparison the Yankees achieved this feat on July 21st.

3. SouthofHeaven - Sep 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

This is why I freaking love baseball.

4. Proudly Canadian - Sep 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Congratulations BigD. I am sure that you handled yourself with your usual aplomb while celebrating.

5. RichardInBigD - Sep 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Yeah, that’s right. I was RESERVED in my celebratin’!

6. BigdogpoppaD - Sep 29, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Smoak in for Kotchman, Brilliant, Just Brilliant move by the coaching staff. Hope they have not hired his AAA replacment yet!!!

7. Old Gator - Sep 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I just got to my hotel room in beautiful fringe San Marcos, Texas after traveling through a tropical storm and nearly braining myself on a pillar at DFW while changing planes because I turned to observed the anterior structures of a ridiculously beautiful miniskirted alien of some sort and I check my laptop for baseball news and: (1) The Mariners lose on a walkoff strikeout; (2) the Borg score six runs without a hit, and (3) the same only moderately well hit ground ball goes between the legs of two Feesh infielders in a row
    I need to talk to Karellan. This shit wasn’t supposed to start happening for another century or two. What gives?

8. Old Gator - Sep 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Sorry, Karellen. Jet lag and a possible concussion.

9. Buccofan - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I vaguely recall a playoff spot being won (or tied with a day left??) years ago on a play like this, I think in 1974. The Pirates were down to their last strike, and there was a passed ball on strike three. A run scored and the Buccos went on to win.
    However, a WP on strike three with the runner scoring from first is a new one for me.

10. Ditto65 - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:23 PM

At least the Kingdome was climate controlled…

11. TrustBaseball - Sep 30, 2010 at 2:16 AM

This is the reason we can love baseball. The seemingly impossible happens on any given day. There is always something that we have never seen before.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5499)