Sep 29, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
I wasn’t watching the Rangers-Mariners game (there was some paint drying in my basement and I really felt like keeping my eye on that for a bit), but reader Evan A. pinged me to tell me that it ended all crazy, so I went and looked it up to see what happened. The upshot:
Tie game, Nelson Cruz of the Rangers at bat. Danny Cortes pitching for the M’s. Mitch Moreland on first base. Cortes strikes out Cruz, but it’s a wild pitch! Cruz takes off for first. Catcher Guillermo Quiroz fires down to Justin Smoak at first, but Smoak pulls his hand away before he can catch the ball, because he thinks (it seems) as though Cruz is going to hit it.
The ball heads down the right field line. Meanwhile, Moreland is motoring. Ichiro picks it up and throws home, but it’s offline and Moreland scores the winning run.
A walkoff strikeout. Never seen that one before. Leave it to Seattle.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)