Sep 29, 2010, 5:59 PM EST
I wasn’t watching the Rangers-Mariners game (there was some paint drying in my basement and I really felt like keeping my eye on that for a bit), but reader Evan A. pinged me to tell me that it ended all crazy, so I went and looked it up to see what happened. The upshot:
Tie game, Nelson Cruz of the Rangers at bat. Danny Cortes pitching for the M’s. Mitch Moreland on first base. Cortes strikes out Cruz, but it’s a wild pitch! Cruz takes off for first. Catcher Guillermo Quiroz fires down to Justin Smoak at first, but Smoak pulls his hand away before he can catch the ball, because he thinks (it seems) as though Cruz is going to hit it.
The ball heads down the right field line. Meanwhile, Moreland is motoring. Ichiro picks it up and throws home, but it’s offline and Moreland scores the winning run.
A walkoff strikeout. Never seen that one before. Leave it to Seattle.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 0
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (71)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)