Sep 29, 2010, 5:59 PM EST
I wasn’t watching the Rangers-Mariners game (there was some paint drying in my basement and I really felt like keeping my eye on that for a bit), but reader Evan A. pinged me to tell me that it ended all crazy, so I went and looked it up to see what happened. The upshot:
Tie game, Nelson Cruz of the Rangers at bat. Danny Cortes pitching for the M’s. Mitch Moreland on first base. Cortes strikes out Cruz, but it’s a wild pitch! Cruz takes off for first. Catcher Guillermo Quiroz fires down to Justin Smoak at first, but Smoak pulls his hand away before he can catch the ball, because he thinks (it seems) as though Cruz is going to hit it.
The ball heads down the right field line. Meanwhile, Moreland is motoring. Ichiro picks it up and throws home, but it’s offline and Moreland scores the winning run.
A walkoff strikeout. Never seen that one before. Leave it to Seattle.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (100)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)