Sep 29, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
I wasn’t watching the Rangers-Mariners game (there was some paint drying in my basement and I really felt like keeping my eye on that for a bit), but reader Evan A. pinged me to tell me that it ended all crazy, so I went and looked it up to see what happened. The upshot:
Tie game, Nelson Cruz of the Rangers at bat. Danny Cortes pitching for the M’s. Mitch Moreland on first base. Cortes strikes out Cruz, but it’s a wild pitch! Cruz takes off for first. Catcher Guillermo Quiroz fires down to Justin Smoak at first, but Smoak pulls his hand away before he can catch the ball, because he thinks (it seems) as though Cruz is going to hit it.
The ball heads down the right field line. Meanwhile, Moreland is motoring. Ichiro picks it up and throws home, but it’s offline and Moreland scores the winning run.
A walkoff strikeout. Never seen that one before. Leave it to Seattle.
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)