The Yankees score six the hard way

Sep 29, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT

I hadn’t noticed this, but reader Kevin pointed it out to me in the comments this morning: The Yankees scored six runs last night without any of them scoring on a hit. They had three sacrifice flies, a bases loaded walk and two run-scoring ground
outs.

Kevin wanted to know if a team had ever scored that many runs without the aid of any RBI hits before. I have no idea. And as I sit here right now, I have no idea how one would even look that up.  Do any of you know, or is this a job for that odd fact research team Jayson Stark keeps chained up in his basement?

1. Jonny5 - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM

“Do any of you know, or is this a job for that odd fact research team Jayson Stark keeps chained up in his basement?”
    And all you have chained up in your basement is Tiffany???

2. BC - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Last time I scored six the hard way was 1990. Can’t remember their names though.

3. Kevin S. - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I’d rather have Tiffany chained up than an odd-fact research team.

4. SouthofHeaven - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:48 AM

5. BC - Sep 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Thank you…. Thank you…. I’ll be here all week. Try the veal.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM

When I saw six the hard way, I thought they scored 3 runs in two separate innings. Does that make me a craps-shooting gambling degenerate?

7. Ace2000 - Sep 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Well, I found this little tidbit, from Elias: “The only other major-league team to score 6 or more runs in a game this season without the benefit of an RBI hit was the Mets in a 7-6 loss to the Marlins on April 7.”
    Frustrating that it only mentions this season . . .

8. Kevin - Sep 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Good catch, Ace. So not “that” rare. And if Elias uses the phrase “in a game this season”, chances are it is even less rare than that.

9. BC - Sep 29, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Great. Another dig on the Mets. Can we stop piling on, guys?

10. John_Michael - Sep 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM