Sep 30, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
I love America and everything, and free speech is a fabulous concept, but the problem with it is that, because of its pesky guarantees, the police can’t come and drag people who write stuff like this into a dank cell and let them spend their final years someplace where they can’t bother anyone:
In their offseason meetings, the people who run the game should shorten
the regular season and expand the playoffs — and not just by adding two
extra wild-card teams, the current popular notion.
Instead of a 162-game regular season followed by three rounds of
playoffs for eight teams, baseball should have a 148-game regular season
with four rounds of playoffs for 16 teams . . . Making the tournament 16 teams would bring baseball equal to the National Basketball Association and National Hockey League.
I could refute the column point-by-point, but let me merely say this: anything designed to mimic the NBA and NHL playoffs is, by definition, a bad idea. Let me also add that any playoff system that would have had the 2010 New York Mets making the postseason is, by definition, awful.
Serious question: do basketball and hockey writers sit around and think up ways to “fix” things that aren’t wrong with their sports all the time like baseball writers do? And if they do, are they as half baked as the kind we see in baseball?
Either way, I should start doing this. I try to post 20 things a day here, and it’s not always easy. If I were to just make up dumb stuff like this all the time, I’d be done before lunch and I’d have all of my afternoons free.
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 0
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 10
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)