Sep 30, 2010, 11:16 AM EST
Ted Lilly’s agent, Larry O’Brien, said yesterday that he expects the veteran left-hander to get at least a three-year deal on the open market this offseason and added that the Dodgers’ financial issues could make it difficult for them to re-sign him.
“I think the Dodgers are interested in signing Ted back,” O’Brien told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. “Ted has interest in signing back. I’m just not sure the Dodgers at this point are going to get to a range that will be very easy for us to achieve come December. I’m pretty confident that there’s a minimum three-year deal out there for Ted.”
Lilly is finishing up a four-year, $40 million contract signed with the Cubs in 2007. At the time of that deal he’d gone 49-44 with a 4.48 ERA in 684 innings over the previous four seasons. Now he’ll become a free agent again having gone 53-38 with a 3.70 ERA in 775 innings during that four-year stretch, so while Lilly is much more of an age-related risk at 35 than 31 his performance has certainly been better than it was when he inked the four-year, $40 million pact.
Even if the Dodgers don’t plan to re-sign Lilly, they can be pretty confident about offering him the arbitration needed to secure draft pick compensation if he leaves. Last offseason the Dodgers shied away from doing that in fear free agents would accept the arbitration offer and force them into one-year commitments, but clearly Lilly has no interest in a one-year deal.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)