Sep 30, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Ted Lilly’s agent, Larry O’Brien, said yesterday that he expects the veteran left-hander to get at least a three-year deal on the open market this offseason and added that the Dodgers’ financial issues could make it difficult for them to re-sign him.
“I think the Dodgers are interested in signing Ted back,” O’Brien told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. “Ted has interest in signing back. I’m just not sure the Dodgers at this point are going to get to a range that will be very easy for us to achieve come December. I’m pretty confident that there’s a minimum three-year deal out there for Ted.”
Lilly is finishing up a four-year, $40 million contract signed with the Cubs in 2007. At the time of that deal he’d gone 49-44 with a 4.48 ERA in 684 innings over the previous four seasons. Now he’ll become a free agent again having gone 53-38 with a 3.70 ERA in 775 innings during that four-year stretch, so while Lilly is much more of an age-related risk at 35 than 31 his performance has certainly been better than it was when he inked the four-year, $40 million pact.
Even if the Dodgers don’t plan to re-sign Lilly, they can be pretty confident about offering him the arbitration needed to secure draft pick compensation if he leaves. Last offseason the Dodgers shied away from doing that in fear free agents would accept the arbitration offer and force them into one-year commitments, but clearly Lilly has no interest in a one-year deal.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 4
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)