Sep 30, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Ted Lilly’s agent, Larry O’Brien, said yesterday that he expects the veteran left-hander to get at least a three-year deal on the open market this offseason and added that the Dodgers’ financial issues could make it difficult for them to re-sign him.
“I think the Dodgers are interested in signing Ted back,” O’Brien told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. “Ted has interest in signing back. I’m just not sure the Dodgers at this point are going to get to a range that will be very easy for us to achieve come December. I’m pretty confident that there’s a minimum three-year deal out there for Ted.”
Lilly is finishing up a four-year, $40 million contract signed with the Cubs in 2007. At the time of that deal he’d gone 49-44 with a 4.48 ERA in 684 innings over the previous four seasons. Now he’ll become a free agent again having gone 53-38 with a 3.70 ERA in 775 innings during that four-year stretch, so while Lilly is much more of an age-related risk at 35 than 31 his performance has certainly been better than it was when he inked the four-year, $40 million pact.
Even if the Dodgers don’t plan to re-sign Lilly, they can be pretty confident about offering him the arbitration needed to secure draft pick compensation if he leaves. Last offseason the Dodgers shied away from doing that in fear free agents would accept the arbitration offer and force them into one-year commitments, but clearly Lilly has no interest in a one-year deal.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)