Sep 30, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
I have the Giants-Dbacks game on and, just a minute ago, Buster Posey hit a two-run homer to extend the Giants’ lead to 4-1 in the bottom of the sixth. A Giants victory today will force the Padres to sweep them this weekend if they want to win the west. In San Francisco. Seems like a tall order.
Since it’s a big game with playoff implications, every writer in the country is watching it. I wonder if that may not put Posey over the top in what has been a closer-than-all-get-out race for Rookie of the Year with Jason Heyward.
Less significant things have tipped closer races in the past.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 9
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 118
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)