Sep 30, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
I have the Giants-Dbacks game on and, just a minute ago, Buster Posey hit a two-run homer to extend the Giants’ lead to 4-1 in the bottom of the sixth. A Giants victory today will force the Padres to sweep them this weekend if they want to win the west. In San Francisco. Seems like a tall order.
Since it’s a big game with playoff implications, every writer in the country is watching it. I wonder if that may not put Posey over the top in what has been a closer-than-all-get-out race for Rookie of the Year with Jason Heyward.
Less significant things have tipped closer races in the past.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)