Sep 30, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Jim Edmonds is “hopeful” that he’ll be able to play in the playoffs.
This seems like a big stretch to me. While what was thought to have been a torn Achilles tendon turned out to not be all that bad, Edmonds is clearly limited and clearly gimpy. He hasn’t played in nine days, and even then he was just pinch hitting.
I know it must be tempting for Edmonds to end his career — and it is almost certain to end after the season — with a playoff appearance, but I don’t see how the Reds can justify a playoff roster spot for him at this point.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)