Sep 30, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Jim Edmonds is “hopeful” that he’ll be able to play in the playoffs.
This seems like a big stretch to me. While what was thought to have been a torn Achilles tendon turned out to not be all that bad, Edmonds is clearly limited and clearly gimpy. He hasn’t played in nine days, and even then he was just pinch hitting.
I know it must be tempting for Edmonds to end his career — and it is almost certain to end after the season — with a playoff appearance, but I don’t see how the Reds can justify a playoff roster spot for him at this point.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)