Sep 30, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Jim Edmonds is “hopeful” that he’ll be able to play in the playoffs.
This seems like a big stretch to me. While what was thought to have been a torn Achilles tendon turned out to not be all that bad, Edmonds is clearly limited and clearly gimpy. He hasn’t played in nine days, and even then he was just pinch hitting.
I know it must be tempting for Edmonds to end his career — and it is almost certain to end after the season — with a playoff appearance, but I don’t see how the Reds can justify a playoff roster spot for him at this point.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)