Sep 30, 2010, 9:46 PM EDT
Some injury news out of Chicago. Or San Diego, really.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that Cubs outfielder Kosuke Fukudome was scratched from Thursday’s lineup against the Padres due to a mild left knee sprain that he suffered Wednesday while stealing third base.
The injury doesn’t sound overly serious, and shouldn’t affect him at all long-term, but there is a chance that the 33-year-old won’t return this season.
The Cubs are expected to shop Fukudome this winter because of the $13.5 million that he’s owed in 2011 and his poor performance at the plate over the last two-and-a-half seasons. With all things considered, they might have trouble finding a deal.
Fukudome has turned in a .263/.371/.439 batting line, 13 home runs and 44 RBI in 358 at-bats this season. He swiped seven bases but was caught eight times and is just a .259/.368/.410 career hitter.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)