Game Three of the World Series to start before 7PM EDT

Sep 30, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

For the first time in over 20 years, a World Series game is going to start before 7pm Eastern time.  It will be Game Three which, thanks to the good people at Chevrolet who kicked in some extra advertising scratch, will start at 6:57 p.m.

Game Three is scheduled for October 30th, and that’s a Saturday, so it won’t help you get to bed at a decent hour on a work/school night.  It will, however, provide you with a great excuse to not get up from the couch between the end of the afternoon college football games and the World Series. Usually that window is when my wife demands that I do things around the house like, I dunno, acknowledge the existence of the kids. Now I don’t have to.

One more good thing about it: since the NL will be the home team this year, Game Three will be played in an AL park. That means that the possibility of crazy late afternoon shadows in San Francisco — should the Giants make it that far — won’t be a problem. The farthest west the game could possibly be played is Texas, and 5:57 Central time should put it safely past the shadowlands.

One thing to watch, though: the ratings for the first hour.  I’m willing to bet that they’re a notch lower than the first hour of the other games this year. Which will just go to show that, though we all moan and complain about wanting playoff games to start earlier, more of us watch them in prime time than we would before prime time.

1. andrewlw - Sep 30, 2010 at 10:11 AM

While this is nice, very nice even, having it on a Saturday is probably the worst possible day to do this. Sunday even would have been better.

2. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Sep 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I’m not a doctor (I just play one on TV), but I’ve gotta think that the best solution to this whole situation is to simply give America the month of October off as a paid vacation.
    Forget Christmas and New Years and Thanksgiving and all that jazz, give me a free ticket to camp out on my couch for the playoffs and sip PBR late into the night whilst suffering through Tim McCarver’s views on why instant replay is–like all things technological–the work of the devil.

3. Jonny5 - Sep 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Awesome….. And not me. I watch the games when they start. Anything else is just uncivilized… And Craig, skip some of the college football and take the kids on a nice long bike ride. Not only does it score points with the little lady, it’ll have the kids too tired to interrupt your WS viewing pleasure. Well in concept anyway, I say it’s a 50-50 crap shoot myself.. Which beats 100% in the doghouse any day.

4. Jonny5 - Sep 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM

actors who play doctor, never, ever drink PBR. People who drink PBR gave up on “playing doctor” a longgg long time ago.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Sunday’s game 4 is in big trouble this year…for the first time, the NFL decided to have a Sunday Night game and it will likely cause the worst ratings for a WS game ever…especially if it is a matchup like Cincy-TB. Bud may actually jump off a bridge if that game 4 goes up against New Orleans-Pittsburgh. If it is Phillies-Yankers, it will probably not be quite as much of a destruction…but it will be trouble in the ratings.

6. Andy - Sep 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I’m surprised that this even made news. I do not really care when the game starts as long as the phillies are in it!! Although, I believe it is good that the game starts before 7, that way my wife will not be able to tell me she is in the middle of watching one of her shows. great thinking MLB!! and Thank You!!

7. Utley's hair - Sep 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Is there any way we can get Bud to just jump off the bridge, the SNF matchup notwithstanding?

8. Ace2000 - Sep 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

If you find McCarver’s commentary hard to take, I recommend muting your TV and slapping this on the stereo: http://www.amazon.com/McCarver-Sings-Selections-American-Songbook/dp/B002OJGGH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252919362&sr=1-1
    Just as much baseball edification as you’d get from listening to his analysis, but without all the distracting verbal gaffes and Nazi analogies.

9. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Sep 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM

For a second there i thought you meant Bengals vs Bucs (not Reds/Rays), and wondered why the hell the WS game would have bad ratings. Oops

10. BC - Sep 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I personally would rather mute the game and listen to this:

11. Utley's hair - Sep 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM

The week in question is not on the flex schedule–that starts in week 11–so the matchup is set. Looks like MLB dodged a bullet with the Pirates, dontcha think?

12. Marty Winn - Sep 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Shouldn’t the comparison be between the first hour of the early game and the last hour of the late games? Both games will have game action in the 8-10PM slot. The delta is in the late hour vs. the 7-8 time slot.

13. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM

No, I totally botched my post. What I meant was this…if game 4 of the World Series is Cincy vs TB, and THAT GAME is going up against Saints-Steelers(which is already locked in) would THAT be enough to make Bud Selig jump off a bridge. I would think that may be the single lowest rated world series game in MLB history.

14. jumanji11 - Sep 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Isn’t the whole “baseball is ruining its future by starting games late” theory testable? World Series games have been in prime time long enough that I would think you would see an effect on 15-25-year-olds by now. Poll samples of that group on the East Coast and West Coast – where games start much earlier, and should therefore see less of an enthusiasm decline – and see if there are any differences.

15. Tony A - Sep 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM

There’s a healthy chunk of America that’s already got October off, and November, and December, and…

16. Tony A - Sep 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Anything that gets the assclowns at Fox a bath in red ink is OK by me…

17. Utley's hair - Sep 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Yeah, but they are widely unpaid, unless you count the money they get from the state–you know…the money the recipients already paid in over the period of time that they did NOT have those months off?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3289)