Sep 30, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
For the first time in over 20 years, a World Series game is going to start before 7pm Eastern time. It will be Game Three which, thanks to the good people at Chevrolet who kicked in some extra advertising scratch, will start at 6:57 p.m.
Game Three is scheduled for October 30th, and that’s a Saturday, so it won’t help you get to bed at a decent hour on a work/school night. It will, however, provide you with a great excuse to not get up from the couch between the end of the afternoon college football games and the World Series. Usually that window is when my wife demands that I do things around the house like, I dunno, acknowledge the existence of the kids. Now I don’t have to.
One more good thing about it: since the NL will be the home team this year, Game Three will be played in an AL park. That means that the possibility of crazy late afternoon shadows in San Francisco — should the Giants make it that far — won’t be a problem. The farthest west the game could possibly be played is Texas, and 5:57 Central time should put it safely past the shadowlands.
One thing to watch, though: the ratings for the first hour. I’m willing to bet that they’re a notch lower than the first hour of the other games this year. Which will just go to show that, though we all moan and complain about wanting playoff games to start earlier, more of us watch them in prime time than we would before prime time.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)