Sep 30, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
Jake Westbrook told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he’d “definitely” be interested in re-signing with the Cardinals and general manager John Mozeliak said the team “obviously has interest” in retaining the impending free agent.
Sounds like a perfect match, right? Well …
Goold also reports that “the Cardinals reached out recently to Westbrook’s agents, though nothing substantive about re-signing Westbrook has been discussed.” Westbrook is in the final season of a three-year, $33 million deal signed with the Indians in 2007 and certainly sounds like someone planning to test the open market regardless of how much he enjoys St. Louis:
I’m definitely going to be open-minded about pretty much everything. If they had interest, I’ve definitely enjoyed my time here. I’ve gotten to know the guys well. The organization is definitely one that everybody knows about, that I’ve certainly heard a lot about, and now, firsthand, I’ve gotten to see that everybody was right.
I wanted to make every start and try to accumulate all of the innings I could, to try to get over that 200-inning threshold. I’m close. That was my goal. If you can make every start and get to that 200 innings or around it, that means you’re in a lot of ballgames, you’re giving your team a chance to win. I’ve been able to do that this year, and my arm feels great.
Eating innings and giving your team a chance to win is great, but when you’re a 33-year-old impending free agent who missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery showing that you’re healthy again is also pretty important. Westbrook and the Cardinals seem like a pretty good fit, but from his point of view there’s really no downside to seeing what free agency has to offer.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)