Sep 30, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
Jake Westbrook told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he’d “definitely” be interested in re-signing with the Cardinals and general manager John Mozeliak said the team “obviously has interest” in retaining the impending free agent.
Sounds like a perfect match, right? Well …
Goold also reports that “the Cardinals reached out recently to Westbrook’s agents, though nothing substantive about re-signing Westbrook has been discussed.” Westbrook is in the final season of a three-year, $33 million deal signed with the Indians in 2007 and certainly sounds like someone planning to test the open market regardless of how much he enjoys St. Louis:
I’m definitely going to be open-minded about pretty much everything. If they had interest, I’ve definitely enjoyed my time here. I’ve gotten to know the guys well. The organization is definitely one that everybody knows about, that I’ve certainly heard a lot about, and now, firsthand, I’ve gotten to see that everybody was right.
I wanted to make every start and try to accumulate all of the innings I could, to try to get over that 200-inning threshold. I’m close. That was my goal. If you can make every start and get to that 200 innings or around it, that means you’re in a lot of ballgames, you’re giving your team a chance to win. I’ve been able to do that this year, and my arm feels great.
Eating innings and giving your team a chance to win is great, but when you’re a 33-year-old impending free agent who missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery showing that you’re healthy again is also pretty important. Westbrook and the Cardinals seem like a pretty good fit, but from his point of view there’s really no downside to seeing what free agency has to offer.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)