Sep 30, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
Jake Westbrook told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he’d “definitely” be interested in re-signing with the Cardinals and general manager John Mozeliak said the team “obviously has interest” in retaining the impending free agent.
Sounds like a perfect match, right? Well …
Goold also reports that “the Cardinals reached out recently to Westbrook’s agents, though nothing substantive about re-signing Westbrook has been discussed.” Westbrook is in the final season of a three-year, $33 million deal signed with the Indians in 2007 and certainly sounds like someone planning to test the open market regardless of how much he enjoys St. Louis:
I’m definitely going to be open-minded about pretty much everything. If they had interest, I’ve definitely enjoyed my time here. I’ve gotten to know the guys well. The organization is definitely one that everybody knows about, that I’ve certainly heard a lot about, and now, firsthand, I’ve gotten to see that everybody was right.
I wanted to make every start and try to accumulate all of the innings I could, to try to get over that 200-inning threshold. I’m close. That was my goal. If you can make every start and get to that 200 innings or around it, that means you’re in a lot of ballgames, you’re giving your team a chance to win. I’ve been able to do that this year, and my arm feels great.
Eating innings and giving your team a chance to win is great, but when you’re a 33-year-old impending free agent who missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery showing that you’re healthy again is also pretty important. Westbrook and the Cardinals seem like a pretty good fit, but from his point of view there’s really no downside to seeing what free agency has to offer.
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 37
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 54
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 64
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)