Sep 30, 2010, 4:49 PM EST
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com wrote an interesting story about Jimmy Rollins’ various business ventures, including his involvement in the music industry. Apparently the Phillies’ shortstop owns partial publishing rights to songs like “Eenie Meenie” by Justin Bieber and “Sexual Eruption” by Snoop Dogg.
Rollins explained it this way: When a writer writes a song, he or she might not see any money for several months while the song travels the globe and licensing companies like BMI and ASCAP check radio stations, TV shows, movies, stadiums, etc., to see how many times the song has been used. Writers need money in the meantime, so they will sell a portion of the publishing rights to get them through until they are paid.
“I’ve got five percent, 10 percent of a song,” Rollins said. “You know, roughly how much the song is going to bring in for that percentage. It’s not really a guess. So basically you give them an advance and you get the publishing. So when you get that back and anytime it’s used, instead of going to them, now it’s yours because you already gave them the advance.”
After reading about Rollins’ success purchasing the publishing rights to songs, I’ve acquired this guy’s entire catalog. I’ll see you guys at the top!
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)