Sep 30, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Joe Mauer is back in the Twins’ lineup at designated hitter tonight after sitting out nine games with a knee injury, which is a good sign given that Minnesota certainly had the leeway to continue resting him through the final weekend.
In other positive Twins news, Justin Morneau felt good enough to take pregame batting practice this afternoon, and even played some catch with a football in the outfield. Not so long ago Morneau was totally out of the public eye as he struggled with post-concussion symptoms, but the former MVP is seemingly finally making some progress in his recovery.
Morneau admitted after the round of BP that being ready for the ALDS next week likely isn’t realistic, but expressed some optimism at being available for the ALCS if the Twins advance that far. Last week Ron Gardenhire basically ruled out Morneau until 2011, so even some hope for a mid-October return is very nice to hear after more than three months on the sidelines.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)