Sep 30, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Joe Mauer is back in the Twins’ lineup at designated hitter tonight after sitting out nine games with a knee injury, which is a good sign given that Minnesota certainly had the leeway to continue resting him through the final weekend.
In other positive Twins news, Justin Morneau felt good enough to take pregame batting practice this afternoon, and even played some catch with a football in the outfield. Not so long ago Morneau was totally out of the public eye as he struggled with post-concussion symptoms, but the former MVP is seemingly finally making some progress in his recovery.
Morneau admitted after the round of BP that being ready for the ALDS next week likely isn’t realistic, but expressed some optimism at being available for the ALCS if the Twins advance that far. Last week Ron Gardenhire basically ruled out Morneau until 2011, so even some hope for a mid-October return is very nice to hear after more than three months on the sidelines.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 62
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)