Sep 30, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Joe Mauer is back in the Twins’ lineup at designated hitter tonight after sitting out nine games with a knee injury, which is a good sign given that Minnesota certainly had the leeway to continue resting him through the final weekend.
In other positive Twins news, Justin Morneau felt good enough to take pregame batting practice this afternoon, and even played some catch with a football in the outfield. Not so long ago Morneau was totally out of the public eye as he struggled with post-concussion symptoms, but the former MVP is seemingly finally making some progress in his recovery.
Morneau admitted after the round of BP that being ready for the ALDS next week likely isn’t realistic, but expressed some optimism at being available for the ALCS if the Twins advance that far. Last week Ron Gardenhire basically ruled out Morneau until 2011, so even some hope for a mid-October return is very nice to hear after more than three months on the sidelines.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)