Sep 30, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Joe Mauer is back in the Twins’ lineup at designated hitter tonight after sitting out nine games with a knee injury, which is a good sign given that Minnesota certainly had the leeway to continue resting him through the final weekend.
In other positive Twins news, Justin Morneau felt good enough to take pregame batting practice this afternoon, and even played some catch with a football in the outfield. Not so long ago Morneau was totally out of the public eye as he struggled with post-concussion symptoms, but the former MVP is seemingly finally making some progress in his recovery.
Morneau admitted after the round of BP that being ready for the ALDS next week likely isn’t realistic, but expressed some optimism at being available for the ALCS if the Twins advance that far. Last week Ron Gardenhire basically ruled out Morneau until 2011, so even some hope for a mid-October return is very nice to hear after more than three months on the sidelines.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 0
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 178
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 138
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (138)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)