Sep 30, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Various reports are swirling that the Diamondbacks will remove the interim tag and make Kirk Gibson their full-time manager with a multi-year contract.
However, new general manager Kevin Towers downplayed that speculation yesterday and said he’s still just “getting to know Gibby.”
This is really still a getting-to-know-each-other session. When we start negotiations, nobody is going to know. To me I don’t like discussing contract negotiations. Nothing good comes of that. Nothing is going to happen until the season is completed, because to me this is an important time for me to evaluate the talent we have as well as get to know the coaches we have and Gibby. If there’s a comfort level with me and Gibby, I’ll probably just hire Gibby and not talk to anyone else. If I’m still a little bit unsure then it doesn’t mean that he’s out, but there might be other people I call and ask permission.
Nick Piecero of the Arizona Republic notes that Towers and Gibson had never even met prior to last week, which makes all the “Gibby” stuff sort of amusing.
Also amusing? When someone says “when we start negotiations, nobody is going to know” and then proceeds to downplay talk of contract negotiations taking place. Towers is basically saying, “We haven’t talked contract yet, but even if we did I wouldn’t tell you anyway.”
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)