Sep 30, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
Various reports are swirling that the Diamondbacks will remove the interim tag and make Kirk Gibson their full-time manager with a multi-year contract.
However, new general manager Kevin Towers downplayed that speculation yesterday and said he’s still just “getting to know Gibby.”
This is really still a getting-to-know-each-other session. When we start negotiations, nobody is going to know. To me I don’t like discussing contract negotiations. Nothing good comes of that. Nothing is going to happen until the season is completed, because to me this is an important time for me to evaluate the talent we have as well as get to know the coaches we have and Gibby. If there’s a comfort level with me and Gibby, I’ll probably just hire Gibby and not talk to anyone else. If I’m still a little bit unsure then it doesn’t mean that he’s out, but there might be other people I call and ask permission.
Nick Piecero of the Arizona Republic notes that Towers and Gibson had never even met prior to last week, which makes all the “Gibby” stuff sort of amusing.
Also amusing? When someone says “when we start negotiations, nobody is going to know” and then proceeds to downplay talk of contract negotiations taking place. Towers is basically saying, “We haven’t talked contract yet, but even if we did I wouldn’t tell you anyway.”
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)