Sep 30, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Various reports are swirling that the Diamondbacks will remove the interim tag and make Kirk Gibson their full-time manager with a multi-year contract.
However, new general manager Kevin Towers downplayed that speculation yesterday and said he’s still just “getting to know Gibby.”
This is really still a getting-to-know-each-other session. When we start negotiations, nobody is going to know. To me I don’t like discussing contract negotiations. Nothing good comes of that. Nothing is going to happen until the season is completed, because to me this is an important time for me to evaluate the talent we have as well as get to know the coaches we have and Gibby. If there’s a comfort level with me and Gibby, I’ll probably just hire Gibby and not talk to anyone else. If I’m still a little bit unsure then it doesn’t mean that he’s out, but there might be other people I call and ask permission.
Nick Piecero of the Arizona Republic notes that Towers and Gibson had never even met prior to last week, which makes all the “Gibby” stuff sort of amusing.
Also amusing? When someone says “when we start negotiations, nobody is going to know” and then proceeds to downplay talk of contract negotiations taking place. Towers is basically saying, “We haven’t talked contract yet, but even if we did I wouldn’t tell you anyway.”
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (79)