Mark Buehrle may retire after 2011

Sep 30, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT

Mark Buehrle told Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune that he could retire after the 2011 season:

“As
I sit here now, I’d love to just go home and be with the family and
kids and go from there. But when next year gets here,
at this time, it could be a tough decision, knowing this is all you’ve
known for 15 years of your life and constantly having to be somewhere,
to go somewhere. And all of a sudden you have nothing to do. It’s going
to be a tough decision.”

He’s only 31 right now, and remains a sold pitcher, averaging 223 innings a season over his 11 year career. And he’s had an above-average (below average? Shoot, let’s just call it a “better-than-average”) ERA for nine of the past ten seasons. If he wants to pitch beyond his current contract, he’ll get plenty of offers.

Either way, if he thinks like he pitches, he’ll make his decision quickly.

1. Mr. Heyward - Sep 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Stone-Pony, Duck Snort, Sacks full of Sox, Can ‘o’ Corn, Good Guys, Bad Guys, Catbird Seat, He Gone, This ballgame is ova, You can put it on the Booooard, YES!…not sure why, but reading this made me think of all the Hawkisms I know…

2. BC - Sep 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM

VASTLY underrated. And not just because of the no-hitters. The guy’s a horse.

3. Alex K - Sep 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM

It’s just as irritating to read…..who knew?

4. Mr. Heyward - Sep 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM

True, but I still love using Catbird Seat (as does Craig I’ve noticed) in my everyday vernacular. For example, when out with your dude friends and your all checking out a super fine piece of lady, you can be like, “yo brah, see her over there? she’s like totally eying me, brah. you see that? yall don’t stand a chance because i’m clearly sittin’ in the motha f@ckin’ catbird seat on this one.”

5. Mr. Heyward - Sep 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM

forgot one: ducks on the pond

6. Proudly Canadian - Sep 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Some of my favourite games featured Halladay against Buehrle. They brought out the best in eachother. The games were low scoring and lasted about 2 hours.

All the trade deadline news to know