Sep 30, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Matt Kemp went deep last night for the second straight game as the Dodgers swept the Rockies out of playoff contention and afterward he had the following exchange with Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times:
With his long and strikeout-filled season coming to a close, Matt Kemp started making bold predictions about next season. … When he was asked how many home runs he will hit, Kemp replied, “40.”
How many steals? “Forty,” he said.
Forty-forty? “I have to pay the fans back, man,” Kemp said. “They deserve it.”
Laughing, he added, “They’ve been mad at me all season. I have to do something for them, something special. We all do. Give them a little taste right now.”
Setting lofty goals can be a good thing–the guy is dating Rihanna, after all–but Kemp has never hit even 30 homers. And while he has swiped 30-plus bases twice, Kemp has just 19 steals this season and has been caught stealing 15 times. In other words, don’t count on 30-30, let alone 40-40.
Also worth noting is that this isn’t the first time Kemp has talked himself up as a 40-40 candidate. In fact, it isn’t even the first time he’s done so with Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times. Here’s a similar exchange they had in March of 2009:
So will this be the year that Kemp puts up the kind of numbers that mirror his seemingly limitless ceiling? Can he hit 40 home runs and steal 40 bases? “Sure,” he said. “I think I’m capable of doing something like that.”
Since then Kemp has 51 homers and 53 steals … in two seasons and 318 games.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)