Sep 30, 2010, 2:17 PM EST
Two seasons ago Pedro Feliciano led baseball by pitching in 86 games and last season he bumped his MLB-leading appearance count up to 88. It turns out, he was just getting warmed up.
Last night Feliciano appeared in his 91st game of the year for the Mets, becoming just the fifth pitcher in baseball history with 90 or more appearances in a season.
Here’s the list of 90-game pitchers:
PEDRO FELICIANO 2010 Salomon Torres 2006 Kent Tekulve 1978, 1979, 1987 Mike Marshall 1973, 1974, 1979 Wayne Granger 1969
Mike Marshall is the only pitcher to ever appear in 100 or more games in a season, logging an insane 208.1 innings in a ridiculous 106 appearances for the Dodgers in 1974. He finished 83 of those games, posting 15 victories with 21 saves and a 2.42 ERA, and received the Cy Young award.
Feliciano is a left-handed specialist, so he’s logged just 61.2 innings in his 91 appearances this season and a total of 174.1 innings in 265 appearances over the past three years. On the other hand, he has a 3.41 ERA during that span and given that he has Jerry Manuel as his manager you can be certain Feliciano has warmed up well over 100 times this season, which is pretty impressive.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 0
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 88
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 43
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (88)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)