Sep 30, 2010, 2:32 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that Rafael Soriano has hired Scott Boras as his agent.
It was probably a forgone conclusion that Soriano was going to leave via free agency anyway, but this likely seals it, seeing as though guys don’t usually hire Boras to negotiate their creative, incentive-laden, keep-me-with-my-current-team deals.
The Rays certainly got great use out of him. Hoping to grab a draft pick, the Braves offered Soriano arbitration last winter, only to have him accept it. After bringing in Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito, however, Atlanta wasn’t about to pay Soriano $7 million, so they traded him to Tampa Bay for baubles and trinkets. All he’s done for the Rays is post a 1.76
ERA, a 0.78 WHIP and notch 44 saves in 47 chances this season.
Soriano has been one of the best relief pitchers in all of baseball over the past five years. Yes, there’s a lot of mileage on that arm of his, but he’ll likely get a nice payday all the same.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)