Sep 30, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News is reporting that the Reds and Dusty Baker are really close to signing a three-year extension to keep Baker on as manager. All that’s left, McCoy says, is” dotting I’s and crossing T’s.” Jeez, I know the Reds do things on a budget, but you’d think they’d at least get a couple of laptops by now instead of doing everything longhand.
An announcement won’t be made about it before at least next week, McCoy says, and maybe not until after the playoffs, because Baker doesn’t like distractions. Of course, now that this report is out there, it’s probably more of a distraction if the team doesn’t announce it and folks keep speculating. If they say he’s got a deal it’s a one-day story.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)