Sep 30, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News is reporting that the Reds and Dusty Baker are really close to signing a three-year extension to keep Baker on as manager. All that’s left, McCoy says, is” dotting I’s and crossing T’s.” Jeez, I know the Reds do things on a budget, but you’d think they’d at least get a couple of laptops by now instead of doing everything longhand.
An announcement won’t be made about it before at least next week, McCoy says, and maybe not until after the playoffs, because Baker doesn’t like distractions. Of course, now that this report is out there, it’s probably more of a distraction if the team doesn’t announce it and folks keep speculating. If they say he’s got a deal it’s a one-day story.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)