Sep 30, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
We know he’s going to be relieved of his duties, but the rumor now — attributed to “sources” by the 7 Train to Shea blog — is that Omar Minaya’s last day as a Met employee will be Monday and that he won’t be given another job in the organization.
I don’t doubt the firing part of that, but I’d be surprised if he was simply allowed to dangle like that. He still has a year on his contract paying him a couple million bucks. The Mets clearly don’t get the concept of sunk costs — See Perez, Oliver — so they’d probably be loathe to simply write him a check to go sit on a beach someplace.
Less cynically, Minaya, for all of his faults, has a reputation as an excellent scout and is on record saying that he really misses and enjoys doing it. If he’s released, another team would probably hire him, and that would certainly bug the Mets. It would make sense, then, for the Mets to use him in a scouting capacity somehow. Maybe not out holding a gun down in the Texas League or whatever, but certainly helping out in some fashion.
Guess we’ll see next week.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 18
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)