Sep 30, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
We know he’s going to be relieved of his duties, but the rumor now — attributed to “sources” by the 7 Train to Shea blog — is that Omar Minaya’s last day as a Met employee will be Monday and that he won’t be given another job in the organization.
I don’t doubt the firing part of that, but I’d be surprised if he was simply allowed to dangle like that. He still has a year on his contract paying him a couple million bucks. The Mets clearly don’t get the concept of sunk costs — See Perez, Oliver — so they’d probably be loathe to simply write him a check to go sit on a beach someplace.
Less cynically, Minaya, for all of his faults, has a reputation as an excellent scout and is on record saying that he really misses and enjoys doing it. If he’s released, another team would probably hire him, and that would certainly bug the Mets. It would make sense, then, for the Mets to use him in a scouting capacity somehow. Maybe not out holding a gun down in the Texas League or whatever, but certainly helping out in some fashion.
Guess we’ll see next week.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)