Sep 30, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
We know he’s going to be relieved of his duties, but the rumor now — attributed to “sources” by the 7 Train to Shea blog — is that Omar Minaya’s last day as a Met employee will be Monday and that he won’t be given another job in the organization.
I don’t doubt the firing part of that, but I’d be surprised if he was simply allowed to dangle like that. He still has a year on his contract paying him a couple million bucks. The Mets clearly don’t get the concept of sunk costs — See Perez, Oliver — so they’d probably be loathe to simply write him a check to go sit on a beach someplace.
Less cynically, Minaya, for all of his faults, has a reputation as an excellent scout and is on record saying that he really misses and enjoys doing it. If he’s released, another team would probably hire him, and that would certainly bug the Mets. It would make sense, then, for the Mets to use him in a scouting capacity somehow. Maybe not out holding a gun down in the Texas League or whatever, but certainly helping out in some fashion.
Guess we’ll see next week.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)