Sep 30, 2010, 9:16 AM EST
We know he’s going to be relieved of his duties, but the rumor now — attributed to “sources” by the 7 Train to Shea blog — is that Omar Minaya’s last day as a Met employee will be Monday and that he won’t be given another job in the organization.
I don’t doubt the firing part of that, but I’d be surprised if he was simply allowed to dangle like that. He still has a year on his contract paying him a couple million bucks. The Mets clearly don’t get the concept of sunk costs — See Perez, Oliver — so they’d probably be loathe to simply write him a check to go sit on a beach someplace.
Less cynically, Minaya, for all of his faults, has a reputation as an excellent scout and is on record saying that he really misses and enjoys doing it. If he’s released, another team would probably hire him, and that would certainly bug the Mets. It would make sense, then, for the Mets to use him in a scouting capacity somehow. Maybe not out holding a gun down in the Texas League or whatever, but certainly helping out in some fashion.
Guess we’ll see next week.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)