Sep 30, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
We know he’s going to be relieved of his duties, but the rumor now — attributed to “sources” by the 7 Train to Shea blog — is that Omar Minaya’s last day as a Met employee will be Monday and that he won’t be given another job in the organization.
I don’t doubt the firing part of that, but I’d be surprised if he was simply allowed to dangle like that. He still has a year on his contract paying him a couple million bucks. The Mets clearly don’t get the concept of sunk costs — See Perez, Oliver — so they’d probably be loathe to simply write him a check to go sit on a beach someplace.
Less cynically, Minaya, for all of his faults, has a reputation as an excellent scout and is on record saying that he really misses and enjoys doing it. If he’s released, another team would probably hire him, and that would certainly bug the Mets. It would make sense, then, for the Mets to use him in a scouting capacity somehow. Maybe not out holding a gun down in the Texas League or whatever, but certainly helping out in some fashion.
Guess we’ll see next week.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 3
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)