Oct 1, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright was on ESPN Radio in St. Louis yesterday, and he went off on Jack Clark for saying that the Cardinals were quitters:
Those were stupid comments. Hopefully he knows that anyways. You got
a guy who likes to hear himself talk, that’s all it is. You notice in
every big situation, whether it’s McGwire or with our team, guys like
that always have their opinions out in the papers.
And Clark better be careful, or else Wainwright and the Cardinals will, I dunno, start a fight that will cause one of their teammates to get a career ending injury or something:
When you say something like that, you have to be ready for the
repercussions or the comebacks. Especially when people are in this
clubhouse and we hear things like that and then we’ll see this person
the next year and they’ll try to be our friends and laugh and smile and
talk. It’s the very same thing that started that fight in Cincinnati.
Some guy opens his mouth and talks a bunch of trash in the papers and
then tries to come out the next day and be all lovey-dovey with Molina.
It’s very similar.
If by “similar” he means “something that, in hindsight, we totally should have ignored rather than acting all big about because it got someone hurt and distracted us from the task at hand,” then yes. Yes they are.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)