Oct 1, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright was on ESPN Radio in St. Louis yesterday, and he went off on Jack Clark for saying that the Cardinals were quitters:
Those were stupid comments. Hopefully he knows that anyways. You got
a guy who likes to hear himself talk, that’s all it is. You notice in
every big situation, whether it’s McGwire or with our team, guys like
that always have their opinions out in the papers.
And Clark better be careful, or else Wainwright and the Cardinals will, I dunno, start a fight that will cause one of their teammates to get a career ending injury or something:
When you say something like that, you have to be ready for the
repercussions or the comebacks. Especially when people are in this
clubhouse and we hear things like that and then we’ll see this person
the next year and they’ll try to be our friends and laugh and smile and
talk. It’s the very same thing that started that fight in Cincinnati.
Some guy opens his mouth and talks a bunch of trash in the papers and
then tries to come out the next day and be all lovey-dovey with Molina.
It’s very similar.
If by “similar” he means “something that, in hindsight, we totally should have ignored rather than acting all big about because it got someone hurt and distracted us from the task at hand,” then yes. Yes they are.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 54
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)