Adam Wainwright slams Jack Clark

Oct 1, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT

Adam Wainwright was on ESPN Radio in St. Louis yesterday, and he went off on Jack Clark for saying that the Cardinals were quitters:

Those were stupid comments. Hopefully he knows that anyways. You got
a guy who likes to hear himself talk, that’s all it is. You notice in
every big situation, whether it’s McGwire or with our team, guys like
that always have their opinions out in the papers.

And Clark better be careful, or else Wainwright and the Cardinals will, I dunno, start a fight that will cause one of their teammates to get a career ending injury or something:

When you say something like that, you have to be ready for the
repercussions or the comebacks. Especially when people are in this
clubhouse and we hear things like that and then we’ll see this person
the next year and they’ll try to be our friends and laugh and smile and
talk. It’s the very same thing that started that fight in Cincinnati.
Some guy opens his mouth and talks a bunch of trash in the papers and
then tries to come out the next day and be all lovey-dovey with Molina.
It’s very similar.

If by “similar” he means “something that, in hindsight, we totally should have ignored rather than acting all big about because it got someone hurt and distracted us from the task at hand,” then yes. Yes they are.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Cardinals have big mouths, big balls, and little brains. That’s why Adam, Chris and the gang(pun intended) will be home watching the playoffs, even though that have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. Idiots.

2. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Cardinals have beaks, little balls, and little brains.

3. Nikoli - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

No one is going to mention their prominent red feathers? I would argue that this is the feature that they are known best for and I dare anyone to challenge this school of thought.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM

No, you’re thinking of Mr. Cerrano…LOL…just kiddin with ya Pedro.

5. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Correction good sir: MALE cardinals are known for their beautiful red feathers, which of course are used to attract their mates. Their mates, on the other hand, are a dull brownish w/ a red-hued crest. I’d argue that the red crest is the most well-known feature of the cardinalis cardinalis species as a whole.

6. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM

You’re turning me into an HBT legend, so thanks. Although, I’m not sure how many folks on here know who the hell you’re talking about when you reference Pedro Cerrano instead of Mr. Heyward (or El Bravo….my pseudonym).
    …and I have big brass balls, I am always closing, and I drink all the coffee I want, when I want.

7. Nikoli - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Well played.

8. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Well played indeed. I thought having poopy pants was their best known feature until now.

9. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Jobu is pleased with you sir.

10. 13601 - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Great post Craig!!

11. Lans Downe - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

You telling me Jesus Chr*st can’t hit a curve ball?

12. Nikoli - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Cardinals don’t wear pants.

Three legends off to Cooperstown