Oct 1, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright was on ESPN Radio in St. Louis yesterday, and he went off on Jack Clark for saying that the Cardinals were quitters:
Those were stupid comments. Hopefully he knows that anyways. You got
a guy who likes to hear himself talk, that’s all it is. You notice in
every big situation, whether it’s McGwire or with our team, guys like
that always have their opinions out in the papers.
And Clark better be careful, or else Wainwright and the Cardinals will, I dunno, start a fight that will cause one of their teammates to get a career ending injury or something:
When you say something like that, you have to be ready for the
repercussions or the comebacks. Especially when people are in this
clubhouse and we hear things like that and then we’ll see this person
the next year and they’ll try to be our friends and laugh and smile and
talk. It’s the very same thing that started that fight in Cincinnati.
Some guy opens his mouth and talks a bunch of trash in the papers and
then tries to come out the next day and be all lovey-dovey with Molina.
It’s very similar.
If by “similar” he means “something that, in hindsight, we totally should have ignored rather than acting all big about because it got someone hurt and distracted us from the task at hand,” then yes. Yes they are.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)