Oct 1, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright was on ESPN Radio in St. Louis yesterday, and he went off on Jack Clark for saying that the Cardinals were quitters:
Those were stupid comments. Hopefully he knows that anyways. You got
a guy who likes to hear himself talk, that’s all it is. You notice in
every big situation, whether it’s McGwire or with our team, guys like
that always have their opinions out in the papers.
And Clark better be careful, or else Wainwright and the Cardinals will, I dunno, start a fight that will cause one of their teammates to get a career ending injury or something:
When you say something like that, you have to be ready for the
repercussions or the comebacks. Especially when people are in this
clubhouse and we hear things like that and then we’ll see this person
the next year and they’ll try to be our friends and laugh and smile and
talk. It’s the very same thing that started that fight in Cincinnati.
Some guy opens his mouth and talks a bunch of trash in the papers and
then tries to come out the next day and be all lovey-dovey with Molina.
It’s very similar.
If by “similar” he means “something that, in hindsight, we totally should have ignored rather than acting all big about because it got someone hurt and distracted us from the task at hand,” then yes. Yes they are.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)