Oct 1, 2010, 8:25 PM EDT
Craig informed us early this morning that Rays manager Joe Maddon was thinking about starting David Price on Saturday against the Royals. Not so. It turns out that Price is expected to pitch two innings in relief, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
Either Jeremy Hellickson or Andy Sonnanstine are set to start the ballgame. An official announcement won’t be made until after tonight’s game, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Price’s appearance was going to be pretty brief, anyway — just a mere tune-up for Game 1 of the ALDS next Wednesday — so it doesn’t really matter if he starts the game or not. Of course, there’s still the outside chance that Price could walk away from the game with his 20th win. You know, if you’re into that sort of thing.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (199)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)