Oct 1, 2010, 8:47 AM EDT
Fox will formally announce Wednesday that its Major League Baseball
playoff coverage will include what it bills as a TV first: Cameras
zipping over the field of play . . . The idea is to use one camera per game that will move along cables
and be controlled by operators who are supposed to keep those cameras
away from fair and foul territory until pitches cross home plate.
Then the cameras, like the cable-cams that now routinely hover over
NFL games, can roam over the field at altitudes ranging from about 12 to
80 feet above ground.
If they’re not overused, these kinds of shots can be fun. I can see this leading to some pretty awesome replays of plays at the bag, outfielders getting bouncers on the run and throwing them in, baserunners in motion, etc. And really, any toy that distracts the FOX producers from their usual habit of going to super-duper-awful closeups of player’s and fans’ faces in between pitches will be nice.
Of course, there are some ways FOX could screw this up. For example, if they use it for too many live shots it could be disorienting. And if the unthinkable happens and a ball in play hits one of the cameras you’ll probably need to avoid this blog for a week, because that will be THE ONLY thing we’ll be talking about. One wonders why they didn’t try this out with some meaningless regular season games first to work out the bugs.
Overall though, I’m cautiously optimistic that this will be kinda nifty.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)