Jerry and Omar get the axe. I think.

Oct 1, 2010, 1:25 PM EDT

Jon Heyman is reporting that Mets manager Jerry Manuel and general
manager Omar Minaya “will not return in their current roles next season.”

I guess this means that this is official and that they’ve been told and stuff, but it’s not clear from Heyman’s tweet (which I couldn’t read in the first place, because he blocks me for some reason). But if that is the case, it’s news only as much as it’s news when the autumnal equinox renders fall official. We all knew it was coming. Someone in the newspaper writes about it the day it happens. It’s not something we’re going to slap a “Breaking!” on or something about which we’ll send cute little newsboys out into the streets to shout “Extra! Extra!”

1. Kevin S. - Oct 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Craig, imagine the snarking opportunities you’re allowing to slip by with your stubborn refusal to get a secret account solely for the purpose of Twitter-stalking Heyman. Think of the children!!!

2. Mrsteve - Oct 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Blocked by Hymen. Try extenz.

3. doctorfunke - Oct 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Craig, I was waiting for the right post to reply to to write this comment in, but my lunch break is nearly over, so this one will have to do.
    So, I had an idea, and maybe this has been suggested before, but why don’t you and the other bloggers here have a little post season awards ceremony for all of us commenters? I had the idea when I saw some particularly funny comments from John_Michael and Jonny5 and I thought, those two have been pretty funny this season, but who has been funnier? This could stir up all sorts of arguments just like the CYA, and it could also lead to some pretty sweet metrics being created. Just a thought.

4. Evan - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM

If this is true, good riddance to Minaya. I’ve never understood why the turnover for GMs is so relatively low as compared to coaches/managers. You could argue that the success/failure of a team has more to do with the GM than anyone else.

5. SadPandaRevolt - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM

It’s because a manager is a motivator. A GM is a builder. It often takes a few, if not many, years to build a winning organization. Which is why GM’s are given a lot of leeway, their job is very long term by its very nature. A Manager’s job isn’t like that, their job is to take the personalities they’ve been given and create a team out of it. If a managing style doesn’t fit well with team persona, you need to get rid of the manager and replace him with someone that does fit. Which is why Manager turnover is much higher.

6. walk - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM

As a fan of any other team than the mets i was really hoping those two would get lifetime contracts.

7. BC - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:41 PM

The best thread over the past year had to be the one on walk-up music.
    I was on a roll that day as were a number of us.

8. Evan - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Yes, but the GMs are instrumental in choosing the manager. Even if the manager’s sole responsibility is to be a motivator (which it isn’t), if the manager isn’t the right fit for the team, that’s the GM’s fault. Should the manager get fired? Maybe. But its these kind of things that make me wrack my head.
    When GMs make mistakes, its both obvious and (typically) very costly. When a manager makes a mistake, you typically don’t notice it and it has a relatively small impact on performance. And most of the time, the manager doesn’t make a difference. Do you think Joe Torre would have any trouble winning a world championship with the 2009 NY Yankees? Do you think Joe Girardi would have brought the Dodgers to the playoffs in 2010?
    I realize this is all ramptant useless speculation. At the same time, I wish more teams realized that GMs seemingly get away with murder when it comes to their mistakes while managers can do no right. The roles should be reversed.

9. Trevor B - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I feel left out, some days I’d like to think I put some funny stuff in here. :-)

10. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Please no awards for me. I’m worthless. I do spend too much time here, and probably annoy most others posting. I’m a distraction more or less.. I say the staff at HBT deserves all credit for any content found on these pages.

11. Trevor B - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Amen.

12. SadPandaRevolt - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Well, if the manager is a bad fit, You have to replace them. Sure it’s the GM’s fault, but you can’t always predict which manger will fit best with who. And it only becomes an issue, really, when the GM hires a string of bad managers (pattern of bad judgement). You’re right that the GM has a far bigger impact on the teams than Managers do. And I guess you can say the roles should be reversed, but the GM should still have far more job security. The very nature of the job demands it. If a manager if a bad fit, it easy enough to replace him, and have little effect. To replace a GM is HUGE, and often means the entire organizational philosophy is changing with it. That’s not something you do on a whim. GM’s really, should be given 5 years to work on the team. Because, often, that’s how long it will take to make the team truly theirs as opposed to the guy they are replacing.

13. Trevor B - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Actually Jonny I enjoy most of your commentary. If I were to ever start a baseball blog I’d probably ask you to jump on board with it.

14. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I deserve nothing. I have an illness. Cronic posteritis with a case of bad humor. Some people don’t appreciate my sickness. But I’d like to thank you for the nomination anyway.. I’d also like to thank my Beautiful wife and child, which without them my sense of humor would be much better, and i’d like to thank God, who not only blessed me with good looks, also blessed me with the ability to pull comments straight from my bottockal crevice, beter known as my rectum.

15. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Thanks I appreciate the thought. Now I may have to post many more times on this thread because I’m an attention whore and all. Wait I may have already done it…. Yup, see I told you so.

16. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Ok, who here thinks Jerry will be the next manager in Feeshtown? Not the Feeshtown in Philly. The one in FL. I have a stinky feeling he’d be the perfect puppet for Loria to string along.

17. Trevor B - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Yeah, he is already used to being strung around in Met-Land. They can just hand the strings over. :-)

18. Old Gator - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Extenze. You need to extend Extenz with an e. Then it’s extended. That’s fine, but I suspect the like it distended as well as extended. All of which is well intended, and the substance in question highly recommended. This discourse on intercourse is hereby ended.

19. Old Gator - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I seriously doubt that Manuel will wind up here. Edwin Rodriguez, “the world’s first Puerto Rican major league baseball manager,” is already a marginally better manager and has the respect of his players. Hell, you would respect a guy who could barely motivate you if you didn’t especially feel much like playing, wouldn’t you? Rodriguez’ Feesh have never choked, even if they have asphyxiated themselves from time to time by playing as though they had plastic bags over their heads. So since Macondo already has a non-motivational manager (motivation being only one style among many managerial styles), what do we need another one for? Anyway, he’ll want more money than Rodriguez because of his more extended experience. I don’t think Scrooge McLoria would consider that a very good option, do you?

20. BC - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Hear that noise? That was Old Gator shuddering at the thought.

21. Old Gator - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

You only hear that because I was slumped against the china cabinet.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3476)