Oct 1, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
Jose Bautista broke out of a 0-for-20 slump in a big way last night, smacking his 53rd and 54th homers of the season. And remarkably No. 54 was the first homer all year he’s hit to the opposite field.
Seriously, look at this mesmerizing MLB.com video showing Bautista’s first 52 homers in two minutes and see how many aren’t pulled to left field or, in a few instances, smashed to left-center field.
“I was actually just trying to make contact,” Bautista told Jordan Bastian of MLB.com. “I can’t even, I don’t even know what happened with that one. Somehow it went over, but I’ll take it.”
As a team the Blue Jays have 253 homers this season, which is 46 more than any other team in baseball this year and the fourth-most homers in baseball history behind the 1997 Mariners (264), 2005 Rangers (260), and 1996 Orioles (257).
Bautista is now up to 19th on the single-season homer list, tied with Alex Rodriguez in 2007, David Ortiz in 2006, Mickey Mantle in 1961, Ralph Kiner in 1949, and Babe Ruth in 1920 and 1928.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)