Oct 1, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Jose Bautista broke out of a 0-for-20 slump in a big way last night, smacking his 53rd and 54th homers of the season. And remarkably No. 54 was the first homer all year he’s hit to the opposite field.
Seriously, look at this mesmerizing MLB.com video showing Bautista’s first 52 homers in two minutes and see how many aren’t pulled to left field or, in a few instances, smashed to left-center field.
“I was actually just trying to make contact,” Bautista told Jordan Bastian of MLB.com. “I can’t even, I don’t even know what happened with that one. Somehow it went over, but I’ll take it.”
As a team the Blue Jays have 253 homers this season, which is 46 more than any other team in baseball this year and the fourth-most homers in baseball history behind the 1997 Mariners (264), 2005 Rangers (260), and 1996 Orioles (257).
Bautista is now up to 19th on the single-season homer list, tied with Alex Rodriguez in 2007, David Ortiz in 2006, Mickey Mantle in 1961, Ralph Kiner in 1949, and Babe Ruth in 1920 and 1928.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)