Oct 1, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Miguel Olivo was diagnosed with a mild concussion. His status for the rest of the season really doesn’t matter at this point, but he is not expected to play on Saturday or Sunday. If there’s a bit of good news to report, it’s that he is already back with the team.
9:35 PM: According to B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest, Olivo was struck in the back of the head and neck area. He has been taken to a local hospital for CT scans.
9:15 PM: Scary news coming out of St. Louis.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Miguel Olivo had to be carted off the field after being struck in the head on a backswing by Albert Pujols in the first inning of tonight’s game.
Harding writes that Olivo was rising from his squatted position when the bat hit him in the back of the helmet. Olivo’s neck was stabilized, according to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post, before he was removed from the field on a stretcher.
I must confess that I didn’t actually see this take place, but from the description, I’m actually glad I didn’t. We’ll pass along an update on this story when it is made available.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 44
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)