Oct 1, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Miguel Olivo was diagnosed with a mild concussion. His status for the rest of the season really doesn’t matter at this point, but he is not expected to play on Saturday or Sunday. If there’s a bit of good news to report, it’s that he is already back with the team.
9:35 PM: According to B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest, Olivo was struck in the back of the head and neck area. He has been taken to a local hospital for CT scans.
9:15 PM: Scary news coming out of St. Louis.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Miguel Olivo had to be carted off the field after being struck in the head on a backswing by Albert Pujols in the first inning of tonight’s game.
Harding writes that Olivo was rising from his squatted position when the bat hit him in the back of the helmet. Olivo’s neck was stabilized, according to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post, before he was removed from the field on a stretcher.
I must confess that I didn’t actually see this take place, but from the description, I’m actually glad I didn’t. We’ll pass along an update on this story when it is made available.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)