Oct 1, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Miguel Olivo was diagnosed with a mild concussion. His status for the rest of the season really doesn’t matter at this point, but he is not expected to play on Saturday or Sunday. If there’s a bit of good news to report, it’s that he is already back with the team.
9:35 PM: According to B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest, Olivo was struck in the back of the head and neck area. He has been taken to a local hospital for CT scans.
9:15 PM: Scary news coming out of St. Louis.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Miguel Olivo had to be carted off the field after being struck in the head on a backswing by Albert Pujols in the first inning of tonight’s game.
Harding writes that Olivo was rising from his squatted position when the bat hit him in the back of the helmet. Olivo’s neck was stabilized, according to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post, before he was removed from the field on a stretcher.
I must confess that I didn’t actually see this take place, but from the description, I’m actually glad I didn’t. We’ll pass along an update on this story when it is made available.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)