Oct 1, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Miguel Olivo was diagnosed with a mild concussion. His status for the rest of the season really doesn’t matter at this point, but he is not expected to play on Saturday or Sunday. If there’s a bit of good news to report, it’s that he is already back with the team.
9:35 PM: According to B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest, Olivo was struck in the back of the head and neck area. He has been taken to a local hospital for CT scans.
9:15 PM: Scary news coming out of St. Louis.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Miguel Olivo had to be carted off the field after being struck in the head on a backswing by Albert Pujols in the first inning of tonight’s game.
Harding writes that Olivo was rising from his squatted position when the bat hit him in the back of the helmet. Olivo’s neck was stabilized, according to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post, before he was removed from the field on a stretcher.
I must confess that I didn’t actually see this take place, but from the description, I’m actually glad I didn’t. We’ll pass along an update on this story when it is made available.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)