Oct 1, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Miguel Olivo was diagnosed with a mild concussion. His status for the rest of the season really doesn’t matter at this point, but he is not expected to play on Saturday or Sunday. If there’s a bit of good news to report, it’s that he is already back with the team.
9:35 PM: According to B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest, Olivo was struck in the back of the head and neck area. He has been taken to a local hospital for CT scans.
9:15 PM: Scary news coming out of St. Louis.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Miguel Olivo had to be carted off the field after being struck in the head on a backswing by Albert Pujols in the first inning of tonight’s game.
Harding writes that Olivo was rising from his squatted position when the bat hit him in the back of the helmet. Olivo’s neck was stabilized, according to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post, before he was removed from the field on a stretcher.
I must confess that I didn’t actually see this take place, but from the description, I’m actually glad I didn’t. We’ll pass along an update on this story when it is made available.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)