Oct 1, 2010, 4:56 PM EST
There’s a story in today’s Delco Times about Mike Sweeney. About how great a guy he is. About how he adds so much to the Phillies’ team chemistry and has made the clubhouse a happier, friendlier place to be. Because of him, they’re “the feel-good Phillies.”
No mention whatsoever, though, of the fact that back in May Sweeney was challenging his teammates to fights and browbeating and intimidating reporters who said negative things about his team as the Mariners disintegrated scarcely a month into the season.
My point is not that Sweeney is not a nice guy and a good person — by all accounts he is. It’s that it’s a hell of a lot easier to be a great and friendly teammate when you’re winning (like Sweeney’s Phillies are) than it is when you’re losing (like Sweeney’s Mariners were).
We should try to keep that in mind whenever we see feel good (or feel bad) stories about ballplayers. They’re human just like the rest of us, and these stories tell us less about their subjects than they do about their subject’s circumstances.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)